PDA

View Full Version : Why are you up now?

Gregg Feldstone
09-28-2008, 6:27 AM
Just wondering why you woodworkers would be up at 5am Saturday morning on SMC? I am at work. I'm an RN working at a hospital. What kind of night shift jobs do you have?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2008, 6:39 AM
Greg,

It's only 3:39 a.m. here and I'm getting ready to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight.:)

BTW it's Sunday morning here.

Rich Engelhardt
09-28-2008, 7:02 AM
Hello,
It's 6:51am - I slept in - day's half over already :D
(My son was deployed & left @ 1:00am so that disrupted my normal routine.)
Normally, I'm up at 3:30/4:00 am. It's an old habit I got into back in the dial-up days of the internet. I used a dial-up connection for work, and things were far less congested between 3:30am & 6:00am - West coast was just going to bed & East coat & in between were still sound asleep.

I just fell into the habit.

Besides, it's so nice and peacful, both inside and outside at this time of day. I have the bathroom all to myself whenever I want, no traffic noise, no neighborhood noise - the hounds are happily filling my spot on the side of the bed - ahh peace and quiet!

Tool/WW'ing related:
The local PBS station runs TOH, Ask TOH, Hometime, Some other WW'ing program (Woodworker maybe?), Roy Underhill and NYW all between 2:00am and 5:30am. I usually have them on in the background when I'm browsing SMC.

Lon LeBlanc
09-28-2008, 8:00 AM
Greg,

It's only 3:39 a.m. here and I'm getting ready to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight.:)

BTW it's Sunday morning here.

Ken,

It's Sunday here in California, also. Do you suppose Gregg overslept? I'm worried that he's giving Saturday meds on a Sunday schedule. LOL!!!

OK...I'm up early because I need to load up the SUV with tools to go finish beadboard, chair rail, crown moulding, etc at my office. Will probably take a large portion of the day, but I'd like to get home in time to do a bit of work on French drains at the front of the house, where the lot slopes down to the foundation. Winter rains will be here before long, and a 60-70 inch season of rain is not that unusual. Got to keep Lake Arrowhead filled up somehow!!

Lon

Eric Larsen
09-28-2008, 10:17 AM
It's 7:15 here. I slept in. Usually I'm up at 5:30-6 a.m.

Per Swenson
09-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I know it's almost 11 EST.

To answer your question about why I was up at 4 am, I don't sleep.
I take multiple naps.
Another strange, at least to the folks who know me, character defect.

I hit the ground running. Deep nap to fully cognizant like a light switch.

Always been that way.

Per

Don Bullock
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I was up several times in the night because our three week old litter of puppies is here for the week. Their current feeding schedule is every 2 and a half to 3 hours. They just finished their latest feeding at 8:30 a.m. We hope to stretch that to 3 to 4 hours by the end of the week. So, chances for woodworking will be very minimal this week.

John Keeton
09-28-2008, 1:52 PM
The early hours of the morning are the best part of the day! Quiet, read the paper, watch the news, couple cups of coffee (and other essential morning rituals!) I think God gets up at the same time I do - all that work makin' that sunrise and layin' the fog over the valley. The deer are out - doesn't get much better than that!

Gregg, if I was at work my attitude probably would be much different!! I've been this way for most of my adult life - sure would hate to change. If someone told me I had to work 3rd shift I think I would have to rethink my career choice.

In your line of work, 3rd shift is when it all happens!! Glad I'm not there!

Cary Falk
09-28-2008, 2:08 PM
I work in the semiconductor industry. I work form 1AM to 1PM:mad:, but it is only 3 to 4 days a week.:D

David G Baker
09-28-2008, 2:25 PM
I'm retired. I stay up until midnight Eastern time and if I get up early (before 10:00 AM) it is because I have an early doctor appointment. I worked swing for many years and have continued with the hours after I retired. I don't usually get started on anything until after noon unless it is some project that I am obsessed with.
I did work the 3rd shift on occasion and found it to be a great shift if I was on the road due to the lack of humans but I could never adjust to the sleep pattern required to keep working the shift.

Lon LeBlanc
09-28-2008, 3:22 PM
Well, the early rise paid off. Got the beadboard, chair rail, crown moulding, and baseboard re-installed. Wall in first picture was the new one that I added, creating a bit of a "pardon our dust" experience for the last two weeks. Good to have it all put back together again. Will get company logo and name installed on blank wall shortly.

....now off to dig ditches!

Lon

Dustin Lane
09-28-2008, 8:13 PM
Just wondering why you woodworkers would be up at 5am Saturday morning on SMC? I am at work. I'm an RN working at a hospital. What kind of night shift jobs do you have?

same deal here, pharmacy tech at a hospital. granted its 7pm now, but i just got done sleeping all day since i was up all night.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Dustin and Greg...I'm that repair guy you see stumbling around radiology at 2 a.m. looking for a freshly brewed cup of coffee. The guy eveyone gets upset with when CT or MR or a radiology room is down.

Judy Kingery
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Gregg,

Great question - I'm kinda like David, semi-retired. But I spent years working swings and then doing crisis work either through a professional position (crime victim stuff) or EMS (paramedic) so my body clock just runs at night. My normal productive hours are maybe say 8 AM to 2 AM. Again life-long habit of sleeping about 6 hours. Shop time at night is nice and cool during the summers, too.

This week I'll have to adjust a little bit, will teach some 8 AM classes. I appreciate what you do and yep, those of us who kinda didn't know the difference between a Saturday/Sunday as to weekdays or that Holidays might not be normal work days sometimes, we tend to work and sleep a bit differently maybe than the rest of the world, I don't know.

Sleep well when you do!

Jude