PDA

View Full Version : Made a mistake... now it's an epiphany!

Anthony Welch
09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Wife wants me to make an example of an ornament w/photo. So I do one w/old photo of my son. Engrave it, immediately as it was engraving I see I forgot to invert it.:mad: Now it's a negative image and not good for anything.

I hate wasting anything and it bugged the "stu" out of me. I picked it up and layed it down all day long. Finally tonight, I layed it down across a solid color, no change. Held it up to the computer screen....its a Lithophane. Perfect image.:eek:

Now I know you guys that have been doing this for a lot longer than I have, knew this.

What I'd like is for a brainstorm here on SMC, come up with a way to back light these ornaments and make a unique product for all to share. Maybe some way to shove one of those string lights behind it(w/o burning the tree down) or something like that.

I'll supply the goof ball image I made. It's too *&^(!$@$&^(#$^ large.

PM me and I'll send the image. But here is what I did. Photo paint corrected and masked(not nessassary) the image, (don't forget to not invert) then Photgrav, "cherry" settings, clipped into ornament and engraved 1/8" clear acrylic.

Anthony

Darren Null
09-27-2008, 10:45 PM
1) Stick it to a window
2) Cold cathode (CCFL) tubes
3) LED string

Mike Null
09-28-2008, 9:55 AM
One of our members, Jim Good, distributes LED lighted frames. Maybe you could contact him to see if that would work.

martin g. boekers
09-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I second that Mike, I've purchased a few of the items from Jim. he has quite a selection.

Some are perfect for gifts and holiday items. Priced well enough to give us our margin.

Marty

mark lowe
09-28-2008, 2:40 PM
Has anybody heard from Jim Good lately? I have purchased the lighted bases he sells a few times. However the last order I placed he confirmed he had the product them I never heard from him again. I have sent him many emails with no responses. He has always been a great supplier. That's why I'm concerned, I hope everything is OK with him.

Bill Cunningham
09-28-2008, 3:31 PM
I did that once on a mirror, so I painted the back white.. It then became and nice subdued photograph, depending on what it was reflecting.. One of the reasons you may see the image better against your computer screen is because of the raster scanning.. The effect is even more pronounced in front of a T.V. set because of the lower number of scan lines..

Jim Good
09-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Mark, for some reason I haven't received your emails. Shoot me one at jim dot good at a2zengraving dot com and let's see if it gets to me. I've got a few people that sent me emails to my knology account which is what was shown in my profile. I don't use that one anymore so there are some people on this site that I need to reach! I've updated my profile to reflect my active account.

For Anthony: I have some mini glowboards that are smaller in size than the standard ones I sell. These might be perfect for your ornaments. They are battery operated (included) and would be perfect for engraving Christmas graphics and placed on a mantel, coffee table, or on a desk at work. I think if we offer customers a "set" of these glowboards with various artwork, there may be a market for them.

The mini glowboards are only $1.50 so you have room for a good margin. I wish I had more colors but right now I've got blue and clear. The clear would do well for Christmas but maybe you could try red or green acrylic cut to size. I may have to try that! Anyway, I digress. :D

Mark, thank you for your concern, also. I appreciate that. I'm doing well and keeping busy. My 3-year old son broke his leg last Monday so I've been at the hospital this past week and my wife and I have been caring for him around the clock. He is in a body cast to keep his femur stable. It was a bad break and he isn't sleeping through the night which means I haven't either! Six to eight weeks in the cast. Yuck! I'm a tired puppy right now.

Send me an email if you have any questions!

Jim

Mike Null
09-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Jim

Best wishes for your son. If I can help with anything just call.

Jim Good
09-29-2008, 2:44 PM
Mike,

I appreciate that. I just put my son on a bus to your house. He should arrive soon! I know he will be well-cared for and your wife is a wonderful cook! :D He gets up about every hour in the evenings complaining of pain or staying in one spot too long. Other than that, he's been a very happy patient! :p

Seriously, he has been a trooper and done really well controlling the frustration of not being mobile. The toughest part is the pain medicine tastes awful and it's hard to convince a 3-year old that it's for his own good!

We've decided that for Halloween, he is going to be a mummy since he's halfway there!

Thanks again for your offer. It means a lot.

Jim

mark lowe
09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Jim,

I'm very sorry to hear about your son! Luckly he's young and they heal so fast!

I sent you an email to the address you listed with my order. I hope you receive the email. If not please send me one at sector1design@cox.net.

Thanks,

Mark

Jim Good
09-30-2008, 1:41 AM
Email sent to you! Your order will go out this morning (Tuesday) and you'll have it in hand on Thursday! That'll give you a few days to get it done.

Thanks!

Jim