PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood, Burl walnut Trunk top humidor

Bill Wyko
09-27-2008, 5:30 PM
I built this to give it away in a contest on www.cigarlive.com (http://www.cigarlive.com) It was my first attempt at a curved lidded box. I'm very pleased with the results. I hope you are too. Your comments are welcome as always. Please enjoy.

Nate Rogers
09-27-2008, 5:55 PM
Bill,
Very well done, I really like the border around the burl top..

Nate

gary Zimmel
09-27-2008, 6:02 PM
First rate craftsmanship, as always, Bill

John Keeton
09-27-2008, 7:14 PM
Striking!! Very pleasing proportions and balance. What is the burl?

Bill Wyko
09-27-2008, 8:16 PM
Thanks, the burl is Walnut with some sapwood that I book matched. Glad you like it.

John Shuk
09-27-2008, 9:00 PM
How do I sign up to win that? I'd love to fill that with some nice sticks.

Bruce Page
09-27-2008, 9:11 PM
Very nice!
Tell us about those hinges!

Jack Camillo
09-27-2008, 9:47 PM
Bill, your outstanding work never ceases to amaze me. thanks for posting.

James Sweeney
09-27-2008, 9:52 PM
Amazing!! really nice work. Really like the top. Nice bookmatching!!!

Bill Huber
09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
There is just not a lot I can say, it is just beautiful, just out right beautiful.

I to would like to know about the hinges, how were they made and did you use a hing making tool?

Mike Cutler
09-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Do I gotta start smoking to get in the contest?

That's some nice work there Bill, very nice indeed. What's that saying? "Dynamite comes in small packages"

Once again. Nice work, you have a real talent for this type of work. And yes, I'd like to know more about the hinges also.;)

Larry Heflin
09-28-2008, 2:32 AM
And right you are to be pleased with the results. I also would like to hear the story on the hinges

Bill Wyko
09-28-2008, 2:53 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. There was a sticky here about the hinges. I'll try to dig it up and bring it back up to the top. As far as the contest goes, there is a thing called cigar bombing, this is when you randomly send a package of 5 or more cigars to someone for the fun of it. The rules state you have to have been a member for at least a month I believe and have at least sent out 2 bombs before the contest was started and 3 durring the contest. These guys are darkening the skys with cigars being sent around the country. Some bombs have had in excess of 30 cigars in one shot. It's one heck of a contest. Makes me feel great that everyone is trying so hard. Maby we could start a wood bombing here at SMC,;)

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 3:11 PM
Beautiful job, Bill!

Terry Achey
09-28-2008, 8:29 PM
That is truly an awesome result! Thanks for sharing, Bill!

Terry

John Thompson
09-29-2008, 3:55 PM
You "should be" extremely well pleased at the results as the results are nothing short of outstanding...

Sarge..

Mark Valsi
09-30-2008, 9:18 AM
Bill,

I usually love the stuff you do, but this one has three points that I am not crazy about.

1. I'm not that keen on "legs" on a humidor, makes it look more fragile.

2. The edge banding on the top seems to me to be out of place with that "busy" burl. If the center were more plain instead of that exceptional burl, i think the edge banding would be perfect.

3. the "trunk" top seems to be out of place on such a small item.

I hope you take this as honest criticism, not sniping !

David Keller NC
09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Quite a nice result, in an art-deco kind of way. A couple of questions, though - I'm assuming the liner is spanish cedar (cedrela odorata), as would be traditional in a humidor - is this correct?

And, how does one mount the little humidification doohickey in a box like this (or is the intent to place one of the tube-type humidifiers inside it).

Finally, how does one ensure that the interior humidity will not break the box out or split the lining?

I ask because while I've made a bunch of boxes over the years, one specifically for a humidor was not among them...

Larry Fox
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Outstanding as usual Bill.

5-comments that strike ME are;

1) Outstanding choice of woods.
2) Flawless execution of the design.
3) Flawless bookmatch on the burl.
4) As to the design, I love the trunk lid but the legs look a bit out of place to my eye. This is especially true when the lid is open. The pieces on the corners of the top make it appear a bit fragile when the lid is open.
5) To my eye, the inlay appears to be a bit on the wide side for the size of the lid and, I think, competes with the burl veneer.

Please keep in mind that my comments are a bit like the paint-by-numbers guy nitpicking Renoir on his composition.

Bill Wyko
09-30-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks every one. I did start out using a 1/8Th inch inlay but my guide came loose and veered off the line so I had to use a wider inlay. As far as the legs go, there are 4 Domino's on each corner. They aren't going anywhere. The idea IS to make it look delicate.;) Also, I used a burl on the top because I used a straight grain for the sides. This is very common in the world of wood working. I do appreceiate your observations though. No hurt feelings.:D

Ed Sallee
09-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Awesome!!! Yet again, you've astounded this community!

Dewey Torres
10-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Nice one (as usual) Bill. Was that one of the JWW veneers?
GL on your entry!

Tom Godley
10-01-2008, 7:16 AM
Very nice!

I have never made a box lid like this - as woodworkers we need to try different things to keep it interesting.

When you were laying out the top, did the box look too plain without the inlay?

Thanks for showing.

Brent Smith
10-01-2008, 4:36 PM
Hi Bill,

Beautiful work. I like the top barreled. It gives the box character that a flat top just couldn't accomplish.

Can you give us a bit of detail on making and the veneer process for the top?

mreza Salav
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Very nice job all around!

Bill Wyko
10-02-2008, 2:09 AM
Thank you all very much. Dewey, yes, the veneer is from JWW. to make the curved lid, I use an Excell-1 vacuum press from Joe Wood Worker. I build a jig, glue up 3 pieces of 1/8th inch bending Poplar, glue both sides and throw it in the vacuum bag. I'm bending another one right now. Here's A pic of it and here's a few durring the build.

curtis rosche
10-02-2008, 2:17 PM
amazing work bill. beyond words

Bill Wyko
10-17-2008, 3:41 AM
I've started building my 3rd one of these. They will be the X-Mas gifts for family this year. I can build them in a reasonable amount of time and everyone seems to like them. The latest one is Birds eye Maple, Bubinga and Gaboon ebony legs. I think it's my nicest so far. I'll post pics of the last one soon.

PS Sorry I haven't been around much. Working my butt off.

Drew Lavis
10-17-2008, 9:32 AM
Beautiful work. Fit and finish is so important on pieces like this, and from the pictures it looks close to perfection. I hope to be this talented someday.

I did start out using a 1/8Th inch inlay but my guide came loose and veered off the line so I had to use a wider inlay.

I love hearing things like this. IMO, one of the most endearing aspects of woodworking is letting a piece evolve from its original design into the finished result. It's by working with and around the little things that happen along the way that the project becomes unique, to itself and to the craftsman who made it.

tom tangie
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
the legs really stand out

Jacob Mac
10-18-2008, 1:09 AM
Bill,

My house is way too bare in furniture for me to spend too much time making boxes, but I love your work. I especially like how you change up your designs on each project. Thanks for sharing your work and the techniques you use to achieve your stunning craftsmenship.

Clara Koss
10-19-2008, 2:32 AM
i am awed by this piece....so rich and classy... super job!!!!:D

Bill Wyko
10-20-2008, 1:33 AM
Thank you all so very much. I've learned from so many sharing here, it's the least I can do. This bending stuff is awsome. I've built 2 more of these for gifts. I'll post pics asap. For once I replicated a design. I used different woods though. I'm getting some bending practice for bigger, & better projects I have in mind.:D http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_226.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZNxmk788YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxmk788YYUS&utm_id=7926)

Bill Wyko
10-20-2008, 1:42 AM
Beautiful work. Fit and finish is so important on pieces like this, and from the pictures it looks close to perfection. I hope to be this talented someday.

I love hearing things like this. IMO, one of the most endearing aspects of woodworking is letting a piece evolve from its original design into the finished result. It's by working with and around the little things that happen along the way that the project becomes unique, to itself and to the craftsman who made it.

I was told once that the sign of a true craftsman is his ability to hide his mistakes. I'm pretty good at hiding my mistakes, that's for sure.:confused::D Thanks for your kind comments

Mark Singer
10-20-2008, 9:37 AM
Very nice!

Bill Wyko
01-01-2009, 7:05 PM
Thanks Mark. Coming from you is a great compliment. :)