PDA

View Full Version : Beginner requesting furniture advice

Pat Fitzsimmons
09-27-2008, 3:27 PM
my first project was the pictured bench from FW magazine. You can't see the casters which I can quickly remove after pulling it out from wall for any long term work. I really like the quick release vise.

Second picture is my attempt at a bookcase/media center using plans from FW magazine-see simple drawing. It's 3/4" cherry veneer/MDF. The unit is still 3 unattached boxes which I can move back to garage to apply finish. No experience with biscuits nor have tools. I used pocket screws and the units are solid.

Q#1: I don't want to use face frame for the media center. I will just edge member faces with 3/4" edging. I don't think I can successfully tackle inset drawers. So I think I can overlay the drawer faces onto the 3/4" members, is this ok?

The book case units will have face frames, 3/4 x 1.75, and overlay doors. I can successfully install the doors with Blum hinges. I hope the ff's do not aesthetically combat the non ff media center.

Q#2: I've never installed metal slides for drawers. Can anyone point me to some knowledge base installation tips? I know from reading your posts that the drawer widths have to be right on within 1/32" both left and right.

Q#3: Finish. Reading posts, I thought I'd first cut some Bulls Eye shellac and brush for some sealing, then wipe on a cherry gel stain and then brush on polyurethane. OK/comments?

Thank you for any suggestions. pat

Mikail Khan
09-28-2008, 9:47 AM
When using side mounting drawer slides the width of the drawers should typically be 1" less than that of the opening. You can find installation instructions for specific manufacturers online.

e.g.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77A53.pdf