PDA

View Full Version : TS Router Extension Wing - Miter Slot Applied

John Keeton
09-27-2008, 2:43 PM
I'm still in the process of developing fences, jigs, etc. for the new Grizz TS I purchased earlier in the year. I previously posted pics of the router fence built to saddle the ShopFox TS fence, along with the Freud router installed.

I want to build a coping sled, and possibly some other jigs/fixtures to use with the router, but felt I needed a miter slot. Others have mentioned the need for a miter slot with their router tables, etc.

To address this I plowed a slot for a t-slot miter track in a piece of scrap plywood, glued some scrap stock underneath for bolting, drilled bolt holes in the extension wing and rails, notched the rail - instant miter slot. Just finished it so I can't comment on function yet, but seems to align very well with the fence, although it would seem for most applications that wouldn't matter as everything is relative to a fixed point - the bit.

Now, for a coping sled!!

Peter Quinn
09-27-2008, 8:35 PM
That's great work John. I've been meaning to do something similar myself for years, maybe this is the inspiration I need! I have the miter slot on a shelf getting dusty. Enjoy that.

Craig Stueve
09-28-2008, 10:42 AM
That is a excellent idea. You can add me to the list of those who will be stealing... I should say adapting your idea to my own saw.

Craig

Tom WiZeR
09-28-2008, 3:12 PM
Did you fit the router into the CI wing or did you buy it like that?

John Keeton
09-28-2008, 3:41 PM
Tom, the wing came with the saw. I installed the Freud FT3000VCE and drilled the holes by the template provided with the router. It was an fairly easy install, but I would strongly advise using a plywood template. The large drill bits "walked" quite a bit and I had to use a round rasp to get clearance for the adjustment wrench.

This link shows the install http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=90392

The bits were expensive. If you decide to get this router, let me know and I will sell you the two bits at a good deal. They have drilled one hole each!! I can't think of another use I would have for them.

And, this link talks about the wrench issue http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=909000

In the end, it works great and I am very pleased. The DC is near 100%.