PDA

View Full Version : I scored (marked) my first TS insert

Brian Hale
05-14-2004, 5:23 PM
This is really cool!

After i cut thru the new Leecraft insert i put the stock one back in and raised the blade thru the new one. Then brought the fence up against it. I made a couple test passes on some scrap, measuring it with my calipers till it matched perfect.

http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/Insert1.jpg

Lowered the blade and made a shallow pass and this is what i came up with!

http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/Insert2.jpg

Ready to go!

http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/Insert3.jpg

SWEET! :D
Brian

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 6:56 PM
Brian, you rule!! Have a great weekend! :)

Tyler Howell
05-14-2004, 8:18 PM
Hey Brian,
Gave up on rolling your own?? :o AOK in my book. My store boughts work the best. What is that a smudge on a PM Table??????:eek: Nice Pix.:cool:

Brian Hale
05-14-2004, 8:29 PM
Hey Brian,
Gave up on rolling your own?? :o AOK in my book. My store boughts work the best. What is that a smudge on a PM Table??????:eek: Nice Pix.:cool:
Nope, haven't given up on making making my own, yet!

That smudge is a lesson learned the hard way.....

I unpacked the saw and cleaned off the grease/oil real well. Then i assembled the jointer and then the DC. It was late so bed time. The next morning i found several smudges from my hand prints on both the saw and the jointer:eek: :eek:

I should have cleaned the machines and waxed them right away. No damage and i'll get them cleaned off soon but what a shock before my coffee was in the cup... :(

BTW, thats a Bridgewood BW-10LTS, not a PM.... (Hmmm is that an insult or a compliment?)

Brian :D

Tyler Howell
05-14-2004, 9:03 PM
Sorry Bri,

Getting my daily work out jumping to conclusions (SP). Looks nice. First time I have heard of scoring the ZCI:confused: Is that common practice and what are the bennies???

Brian Hale
05-14-2004, 9:15 PM
Sorry Bri,

Getting my daily work out jumping to conclusions (SP). Looks nice. First time I have heard of scoring the ZCI:confused: Is that common practice and what are the bennies???
We all need our exersize.... :p

My old Craftsman TS had an "Exact-i-cut" thingy a few inches in front of the blade. What you did was lay a straight egde against the blade and scratch a line on the plastic thingy. This gave you a good referance for lining up for a cut using the miter gage. I wasn't about to scratch the top of a brand new $1400 saw so i came up with this idea. I'm happy! :D

Hope this makes sense....

Brian :)

Todd Burch
05-14-2004, 11:54 PM
I had the Exact-i-cut on my old Craftsman too. However, I ran a piece through the saw, then brought it back over the plastic disk, and marked the disk with a sharp pencil off the end of the cut. Then, I ran the other side of the blade the same way.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Todd, That's exactly the way I marked mine. It was a neat feature. That brings back memories of my very old Craftsman saw. It's rusting away now in my shed. Don't know why I don't throw that thing out. Alan in Md.

Gene Hatcher
05-15-2004, 7:41 AM
I really liked that Exact-i-cut feature and did mine the same way. Now I mark my Dewalt 746 that way but use a fine point Sharpie marker on the iron. The line is a little wider than the .5m pencil, but it works.