View Full Version : Interesting rail and stile jig

Greg McCallister
09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a stacked rail and stile bit (one you just raise or lower) and being I do not have a miter slot in my router table wing on my table saw, I was looking for a way the do the stiles as in keeping them square to the router fence.
Well I found this vid and I find the jig this man made to be quite simple and looks as though a no brainer for repetitive cuts.
Have not made it yet but will probably do so tomorrow.

Check this out (http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2007/12/19/episode-18-router-bit-review-rail-and-stile-stacked-bit/)

Hope this does not go against SMC rules - if so moderator please remove.

J.R. Rutter
09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow, that is a long clip. Stu could benefit from a bit of editing .

I like the basic idea of a sled spacer to eliminate raising and lowering the cutter. A lot of cabinet shops do the same thing on shapers. My personal preference is to cope the ends or the RAILS first (he got rails and stiles mixed up - maybe its a southern hemisphere thing), then run the profile and groove.

Ray Schafer
09-27-2008, 1:05 PM
That is a great looking jig. I happened to see this in FWW recently for just a general push block for use when routing across long stock.

Alan Schwabacher
09-27-2008, 1:27 PM
It looks simple and functional. Not having to adjust the height of the bit between stick and cope cuts is a very nice feature. One modification I would probably make is to provide some sort of clamp to hold the work in place, rather than using my fingers. A T-nut in the top piece, with a knob to tighten down on the work, would do it. A little block would prevent marring the work.

Peter Quinn
09-27-2008, 8:57 PM
Nice solution. Thanks for posting that. I don't use stacked cutters like those and just use a push block like the one pictured above on the router, but the concept is interesting for handling small parts like like window sash bars.

Joe Chritz
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
The idea of using stacked cutters and setting them for a specific thickness sled is great. I am just to cheap to spring for stacked shaper cutters. It does make it very fast when doing a lot of doors, especially when you goof up one of the rails and have to redo it.

joe