PDA

View Full Version : Tool and f-work gloat

Scott Lux
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I have killed my $25 shop-vac through over use. They really aren't designed to act as a dust collector even for a mini-lathe.

Tool Gloat:
So I did some research and found a Love-Less Ash wet/dry Drywall Vac. It claims to allow you to sand drywall without dusting the house. It also claims to clean a fireplace without blowing dust everywhere. I put that claim to the test just now, and they are right. I'm impressed.

I picked it up locally off CL for $75. The gent even through in the sanding handle and a pcak of the 80 grit screens for sanding.

I've been using it as a dust collector by the lathe for a couple weeks now, and it's actually quieter than my old one. I'm going to rearrange the shop temporarily for some f### work (see below) and when I'm done the vac will be under the bench and muffled more.

Flatwork Gloat:
A friend of the family was my first paying customer and showed off some of my lathe work to her boss. She mentioned that I had made a couple adirondak chairs too. He was interested and asked if I could make him a pair in cedar and how much. I did some material pricing and said $350 for the pair. I assumed he'd sputter, call me names, and that would be the end of it. He sent me half down as a deposit! So I'll have $150-$200 profit from this for new LATHE TOOLS!!! I've made and sold 3 of these chairs before, and 3 kid-sized versions. So I have the drill down pretty well, pardon the pun.

Spinny gloat:
A friend of LOML called me yesterday and asked for 6 bottle stoppers! That's along with the 10 that others have asked for in advance of the Christmas season. Not a huge profit item for me, but it pays for the sawdust therapy.

Lux

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2008, 1:18 PM
Sounds like you got a good vac and going to have some toy:eek: errrrr I mean tool money shortly. Congrats.

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2008, 1:49 PM
Congrats on finding a dust system that meets your needs! Also, congrats on the sales! Hope this is the start of a busy holiday turning season for you!