PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gorilla vs conventional 2HP DC

Bob Slater
09-27-2008, 9:56 AM
I have been doing this backwards..building a shop, cutting wood and then buying the DC when it is finished. Anyway, my shop is multi use (cars, metal, wood) and I am not sure something like a 2HP Dust Gorilla would be my best course of action. Number one concern is space and ducting. Since I am not a daily woodworker, I think I might be well served by something on wheels I roll up to my tools. (table saw, band saw, drill press, RAS, CMS, router).
If I go the conventional route, I was leaning towards a Grizzly or General International 2 HP with a canister. Now I see Oneida has a mini cyclone too. Do you think this has superior performance and more appeal than the mainstream DC's? I still might get a 2 HP Super Gorilla, but not sure how much of a pain it is to move the DC around from tool to tool. Been weighing my DC needs for some time now. Is the mini Gorilla a serious DC that can handle a table saw or bandsaw?

Wade Lippman
09-27-2008, 1:58 PM
Cyclones have less power (per HP) than DCs, but the filters stay cleaner so they keep their power much longer without cleaning the filters. I would hesitate to get a cyclone smaller than 2hp.

I can't have permanent ducting either; I have to have all my tools on mobile bases and connect a hose to them. A 5" flexible hose might be a better option for you than wheeling the cyclone around.

I am using an Oneida Portable, not because it is portable (which it certainly is) but because it was short enough to fit under my 90" ceiling.

If you are intent on wheeling a cyclone around, and if you want to drive down to Rochester, I might have a good buy for you on a 1 year old Portable. (JDS has come out with a short cyclone I would like to trade up for. Its not portable, but as I said, I don't move mine anyhow)