PDA

View Full Version : Any one use this in Turning?

Jon Lanier
09-27-2008, 1:56 AM
Has anybody here ever worked with this in turning? I'd like to try it... but I'm assuming you need to find cut offs. It's called Parallam used in I-beam construction.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4039/parallambowljpg005to6.jpg

Toney Robertson
09-27-2008, 7:43 AM
No, I have never tired it but I have read that it is hard on the gouges. Was it?

It looks nice and it would have been nice to be able to expand the picture to get a better look. It is hard to tell how the wood/glue looks.

Toney

robert hainstock
09-27-2008, 8:56 AM
One of the men in our turning club has made and sold several bowls out of it Jon. I don't know what kind of money he got, but do know he finished them with an oil product. :)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't have much info but my brother said a friend of his tried it and it played havoc with his gouges. He said he was sharpening about every 2nd or 3rd pass.

Keith Burns
09-27-2008, 5:04 PM
This is a Hollow Form I did with it. Not much different than burl to me. Interesting stuff.

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 3:19 PM
Yes, I have and also have a few pieces lurking in the shop from our addition project. Nasty stuff to turn from the standpoint of abrasiveness (even with three identical gouges, I find it necessary to sharpen every few minutes) but the end result can be quite interesting.

Jim Underwood
09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I made an apple out of a block of it once. Interesting stuff. Mostly I found that it had a lot of voids, and tearout was a problem due to it being mostly pine. It took a lot of CA glue and coffee to fill up the holes....

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Jon this is NOT you're turning right, can you tell us who turned this bowl ??
I had seen some turnings made from Parrallam and wasn't impressed with it, so when we did some addition on our house and we had a about 3 feet piece of 4"X12" left over, I drilled a hole in it and used it to place my anvil on, could maybe cut a corner off of it and give it whirl.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-29-2008, 3:42 PM
I think I found who turned the bowl that Jon is showing, and a lot more, have a look.

I also think Jon should have indicated who turned the bowl IMO.

http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com/Parallam.html