PDA

View Full Version : Repowering my Woodfast

Greg Bender
09-26-2008, 9:17 PM
I'm looking for some recommendations on repowering my underpowered Woodfast lathe.It has a DC setup with a 1 hp Leeson and has no guts on anything over 10" in diameter when I'm cutting out by the edge.Has anybody repowered there lathe and
1) Did you stick with a DC motor and drive or
2)Did you go to a AC inverter and a 3 phase motor.
I figure if the AC setup works for Powermatic it might be the way to go.I can get about anything although the DC setups seem to be a little more expensive.I also might have a line on a AC inverter that will be reasonable.I only need to find a motor.Is there an advantage with one over the other in anybodies eyes.
Thanx,
Greg Bender

robert hainstock
09-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not familiar with your lathe, but recently had an expierence with stalling a powermatic. I've been told that it was most likely set on the wrong pulley, (high). and at low speed just didn't have the torque needed for the diamiter of the wood. DC motors useualy have good torque. Can you shift the belt pulley to the slowest speed, this should give you max torque.:eek::eek:Bob

robert hainstock
09-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for some recommendations on repowering my underpowered Woodfast lathe.It has a DC setup with a 1 hp Leeson and has no guts on anything over 10" in diameter when I'm cutting out by the edge.Has anybody repowered there lathe and
1) Did you stick with a DC motor and drive or
2)Did you go to a AC inverter and a 3 phase motor.
I figure if the AC setup works for Powermatic it might be the way to go.I can get about anything although the DC setups seem to be a little more expensive.I also might have a line on a AC inverter that will be reasonable.I only need to find a motor.Is there an advantage with one over the other in anybodies eyes.
Thanx,
Greg Bender

I just googled "woodfast lathe" and found one with a 1-1/2 HP Leeson motor . FYI
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Greg
I don't know wich model you have but this might be interesting for you, Woodfast electronic speed control upgrade, see link, bottom of page.

http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5

Mike Vickery
09-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I am going to assume you have the 16 inch shortbed version. Our club has that model and just changed out the motor and speed control about 6 months ago.

I have the full sized Woodfast with a 2HP 220V motor and it has plenty of power if on the appropriate pulley.

I do not know much about electric motors but if it was me I would want a 2 HP 220 motor. However on a 16 inch I might settle for 1.5 HP (preferably still 220)

Greg Bender
09-27-2008, 7:44 PM
Thanx guys for the replys,
Robert,
Its on the second smallest pulley now and should have more ability than it has.When I need more speed I have to change pulleys and what do I have variable speed for.
Leo,
interesting link,that is what I need but befor I spend 1300+ dollars on a upgrade I will replace the whole lathe.Besides,I have the ability to do the change over so I should be able to acquire the motor and drive for alot less than that.
Mike,
I have the MC 908 which is 16" by 34",I do not think it is considered a short bed,the 400 series is the short bed???It is powered by a 3/4 hp Leeson DC motor with a small Wood Products drive.It was purchased from Craft Supplies by Kurt Bird.I bought it from him a while back.For the most part it works great ,It just needs more power badly.Where did your club get there replacement motor from and what brand did they fit in there.
Well Thanx for the info,the search for a 220volt 2 hp motor and AC drive goes on.

Mike Vickery
09-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I Pm'd you the e-mail address of the guy who did the upgarde.