PDA

View Full Version : Need source of info for building windows

Roy Hess
09-26-2008, 8:33 PM
I have it my head, that I would like to build some replacement windows for my house. So I am looking for information on this, and finding it difficult. Has there been a thread on this subject before ? Or can someone point me to a source of information ?

And assistance would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks Roy

Matt Ocel
09-26-2008, 8:47 PM
Buy em - Don't build em.
Specially in cold climates.
my .02

Brad Shipton
09-26-2008, 9:34 PM
Wow, now that would be a project. I assume you mean complete with the frames. I know a few that build tilt-turn windows and its a big job. If you want the pride of building them your self, dont care about the cost (tools/finishes/materials/inevitable screwups), or time you could do it, but you can find some pretty reasonable vinyl exterior/wood interiors window if the primary goal is to save a few bucks. Its really hard for us to compete with the big boys. They buy stock by the trailer or container loads and have millions of dollars invested into speciality equipment whos sole purpose is to churn out a specific product. If you still want to look into this after many others respond I would suggest the woodweb is a great start.

Brad

fRED mCnEILL
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
We refurbished (complete reno actually) my daughters turn of the century house. It had no insulation, double hung windows etc. I wanted vinyl double glazed windows, daughter wanted to keep the old ones and add a couple more. So I added double glazing to the existing windows and built 2 new ones including frames. I had to add more sealing but all that stuff is available as the guys who make the fancy i.e. expensive- wood windows all use it. It wasn't diffilcult at all. Look on the web -there is lots of "new" hardware for double hung windows. I used the old ones as a patterjn.
Go for it. You'll save lots of money and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Fred Mc.

Brian Groetsch
09-27-2008, 7:58 AM
Find a copy of "Make your own Handcrafted Doors & Windows" by John Birchard, ISBN 0-8069-6544-4. It is long out of print, but you can find nice copies on Amazon.

His book covers building double hung and other type windows with hand tools through shapers. The shaper section offers most of the formulas needed to build a double hung window. The one shortcomming of the book is the details of the check rail, which is the most complicated part of the window. It is still an invaluable source of information for what you want to do.

Peter Quinn
09-27-2008, 9:41 PM
Find a copy of "Make your own Handcrafted Doors & Windows" by John Birchard, ISBN 0-8069-6544-4. It is long out of print, but you can find nice copies on Amazon.

His book covers building double hung and other type windows with hand tools through shapers. The shaper section offers most of the formulas needed to build a double hung window. The one short comming of the book is the details of the check rail, which is the most complicated part of the window. It is still an invaluable source of information for what you want to do.

I second this book, check amazon and your local library too. I got a copy for $12. Look at Conservation Technologies (http://www.conservationtechnology.com/) for gaskets and weather-stripping, and The Architectural Resource Center (http://www.aresource.com/weatherstrip.html) for other parts hard to come by.

Another good source for making old windows is Modern Practical Joinery, by George Ellis (http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Practical-Joinery-Architects-Machinists/dp/0941936082). Unlike the Birchard book, Mr. Ellis is not short on the details of any aspect of construction, and his drawings were well done. You might also like to see this book :http://www.amazon.com/Historic-Millwork-Re-creating-Nineteenth-Mid-Twentieth/dp/0471416223/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I32JGJ4LFCA0W1&colid=2THMWKGOLTPO

A good SDL (simulated divided lite) window with any aesthetic quality runs quickly into the $850- $2800 range. Windows are not simple to make, but it is possible and would be a great project. Glass is not cheap if you use low-e insulated, thats where the factories have the real advantage. I applaud your interest in sash making. A good well made sash beats a vinyl or aluminum sash on looks by a long shot, and may last longer depending on construction methods and location. Ever looked closely at a 30 year old vinyl windows performance? Often not good and non reparable.

Neal Clayton
09-28-2008, 2:52 AM
second and third peter's recommendations. although modern practical jointery is neither modern or in many respects practical ;). it is thorough though.

also consider the old pulley/chain/weight system for the sliding mechanism as well. there's a reason why 100+ year old windows are still there and if not painted shut functional, while modern windows rarely see 20 years before they fail.

Peter Quinn
09-28-2008, 11:41 AM
second and third peter's recommendations. although modern practical jointery is neither modern or in many respects practical ;). it is thorough though.

also consider the old pulley/chain/weight system for the sliding mechanism as well. there's a reason why 100+ year old windows are still there and if not painted shut functional, while modern windows rarely see 20 years before they fail.

Yup. Yup and yup. I have developed several migranes from studying the 'Draught check' drawings in the Ellis book. Guess he didn't have EDPM and silicone based gaskets we rely on these days!:D

The Architectural Resource Center sells chains. weights and pulleys, as well as spring loaded cables and jamb springs similar to those used on Marvin's and Anderson's. Its tough to figure out how to insulate the pockets with sash weights, and I can't help you there because I haven't figured it out myself.

Matthew Bradburn
09-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Its tough to figure out how to insulate the pockets with sash weights, and I can't help you there because I haven't figured it out myself.

Somewhere I saw a suggestion to make the weights run in pvc pipes, and fill the rest of the pocket with polyurethane foam. I haven't tried this.

Roy Hess
09-28-2008, 8:38 PM
Thank-you very much for all the replies !!

Some very interesting links have provided me with some good information. I will make some phone calls tomorrow to Resource Conservation Technology. Also need to start looking for the book - "Make your own Handcrafted Doors & Windows" by John Birchard, ISBN 0-8069-6544-4 - without having to pay $70 for a used copy !

The windows that I currently have are 30 year old Pella, casement windows. These are wood and a couple are in really bad shape. I would like to build replacements for these two this winter and see how I do. The casement windows, because of the way that they swing out, catch the breeze quite nicely. But I do not wish to replace this design. Put a Whole House Fan in this year, and I love it! Thinking awning type windows but I wonder if this is to ambitious ?

All your comments have been helpful, and are a good start.

Roy