PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Sander

Jeff Relth
09-26-2008, 3:18 PM
I want to buy a combination disc and belt benchtop sander.

I would like an 8-9 inch disc, rather than the smaller 6".

Would like to limit the cost to no more than $200. I have seen ads for the Wilton 99175 6 Amp 4-Inch/8-Inch 4/5 Horsepower Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander and the Palmgren 81192 10 Amp 6-Inch/9-Inch Benchtop Belt/Disc 3/4 Horsepower Sander with Dust Bag.

Does anyone have experience with either of these or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks.
Jeff

Dave Sweeney
09-26-2008, 3:52 PM
No experience with either of those two units but I'll put the Hitachi SB10Y (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-SB10YI-inch-Sander-Collection/dp/B000SMJCZO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1222458363&sr=8-1) up against either anytime. This sander is one heavy duty unit weighing in at around 60 pounds. The table is even cast iron and not the stamped metal one you find on most sanders in this price category. The current price is the highest I've ever seen but even at the $180 level it's worth the price.

glenn bradley
09-26-2008, 4:34 PM
Another vote for the Hitachi but, Lowe's has them for $149. I am sorely tempted to grab one myself.

Andy Casiello
09-26-2008, 5:17 PM
Another for for the Hitachi SB10Y. It's a beast. It removes material in a hurry. Has a real quality feel to it. The only negative is that I wish Hitachi supplied two tables with it. It's setup so you can put the table on either the belt or disk. I want one on both. Hitachi sells the tables as an accessory for $ 100!! :eek::confused: I'd just buy another unit and have a whole bunch o' spare parts.. :rolleyes:

Tom Esh
09-26-2008, 5:46 PM
Hitachi SB10Y here too. Great little worker and decent dust collection. Only minor compaints: I did manage to overtighten and crack the disk table mount casting, but the good news is the replacement part is substantially heavier so it shouldn't happen again. Changing belts often I found the skinny thumb-bolts that attach the side cover to be a real annoyance. I trashed them and glued a rare-earth magnet to the cover.

John Thompson
09-26-2008, 9:53 PM
I purchased the Hitachi the week after it came out a while back after seeing it at Lowe's. Very solid little sander and I find it all I need with the type work I do. Great value.

Sarge..

Jeff Relth
09-27-2008, 6:31 PM
Thanks to each of you for your responses. I went to Lowe's and saw the Hitachi for $149. Decided to give it a try.
Thanks again.
Jeff