PDA

View Full Version : saw blade quality

Vince Shriver
09-26-2008, 2:02 PM
I have a couple blades I want to send in for sharpening. My question: I have a Porter Cable 7-1/4" circular saw blade (carbide, thin kerf) that needs sharpening - Is this blade worth sharpening, or should I just replace it? When sharp it made nice cuts.

Ray Schafer
09-26-2008, 2:12 PM
I had the same question recently. I am no expert (and I am sure that someone with more experience will pipe in), but here is how I decide. If it is a carbide blade and the teeth are in good shape, then I want the cost of the blade to be significantly more than the cost of sharpening. I recently had 5 blades sharpened locally for about $57. Any one of the blades would have cost at least $50. ... and so I am guessing that, if you are going to get it sharpened locally and don't have to pay for postage and get to the post office, etc. it will be worth it.

Pat Germain
09-26-2008, 2:19 PM
I agree with Ray. Try to find a good, local sharpener. Stay away from the mass production sharpeners who contract with retail stores and use inexperienced personnel.

A good, local sharpener should give you great results at a reasonable cost. My local sharpener made my WWII better than it was from the factory.

scott spencer
09-26-2008, 2:44 PM
My PC 7-1/4" "Razors" were on sale for somewhere in the range of 3 for $10....even at $9-$10 each, I don't think it'll be worth the time, gas (two trips), plus sharpening costs for blades of that cost and caliber....the carbide tips on those are pretty scrawny.

Decent blades that cost ~ $30 and up are typically worth sharpening but I wouldn't bother for most 7-1/4" blades.

Ray Schafer
09-26-2008, 2:52 PM
I have to defer to Scott ... he has more info than I.

scott spencer
09-26-2008, 4:02 PM
I have to defer to Scott ... he has more info than I.

It's really a judgement call Ray, but I wouldn't bother with any of the PC 7-1/4's...a 7-1/4" WWII you betcha though!

glenn bradley
09-26-2008, 4:31 PM
Total cost of sharpening, plus travel cost, plus my time = Less than new by a decent amount and I sharpen. A $10 blade, I would replace; I'll probably be at the store for something else anyway so i didn't even make a special trip ;-)

Peter Quadarella
09-26-2008, 4:33 PM
7 1/4" blades are too cheap to bother sharpening IMO.

Von Bickley
09-26-2008, 7:51 PM
7 1/4" blades are too cheap to bother sharpening IMO.

I agree......:)

Bruce Wrenn
09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
A good, local sharpener should give you great results at a reasonable cost. My local sharpener made my WWII better than it was from the factory. What! Didn't you know that only Forrest can sharpen a WWII properly? That is what they would have you believe and many also believe.