PDA

View Full Version : Under Deck Roofing System

Mac McAtee
05-14-2004, 11:12 AM
When you have an elevated wood deck there is a system for installing a roof under it. The goal being to make a usable space under the deck that is protected from rain. Anyone know the name of this stuff, something I could find at HD or Lowes or do I need to go elsewhere? I saw it being installed on one of the home improvement shows one time.

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Will this be living space, or like a shed?

Dave Richards
05-14-2004, 11:30 AM
I know what you're talking about. I've seen it advertised in This Old House or some other magazine. I'll look through the TOH I brought to work today and see if I can find it.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 11:33 AM
At my folk's place, there is rolled asphalt shingles installed under the deck and sleepers across those that are tapered to relevel the deck that attaches from above.

However, about 10 years ago we had to rip the whole thing down to fix a leak and found they didn't install the rolled roofing correctly.

Mac McAtee
05-14-2004, 1:35 PM
Will this be living space, or like a shed?

It is a metal roofing system made just for this purpose. It is like a suspened ceiling but a roof insead. It channels the water that comes through the cracks in the wood decking above into a gutter system that you can then connect a downspout to to run the water off in the yard.

There are rails that you attach to the underside of the deck over your head and then pop or slide pannels into the space between the rails. You pitch the rails towards the outboard end of the deck above your head. All the water runs out to the edge of the roofing system into a gutter of some kind.

The space that is below the deck then becomes a dry usable porch, like if it rains and you want to go sit on the deck you can. You can keep your BBQ unit there and BBQ when it is raining, furniture stays dry and so on.

Dave Brandt
05-14-2004, 2:00 PM
I made my own out of those "wavy plastic sheets" used for hothouse roofs (I think that's what they're used for). I tacked up the support pieces (a long strip with "waves" on one side) to the rear beam and also to the front beam with about a 1" drop per foot. I spaced the front support piece away from the beam with wood spacers so the water would drain. Dang, I wish I knew how to draw this. I suspended the center of the sheets (or they'll sag) with thin wire attached to the floor joists. I drilled tiny holes in the sheets, ran the wire through the sheet and a piece of those support pieces that you buy with the sheets. Man, I didn't think this was going to be so hard to explain! Anyway, it's lasted for about 12 years, so far. Anyone know a drawing tool that an idiot can use?

Arvin Brown
05-14-2004, 3:45 PM
Try this:

http://www.dry-b-lo.com/

Kelly C. Hanna
05-15-2004, 8:45 AM
The original is Underdeck and can be seen at http://www.underdeck.com

They can be expensive. I have yet to use one since most people opt for a shingled roof under the deck.