PDA

View Full Version : Quick segmented piece

owen bowen
09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
This is a quick piece my son and I did on a rainy afternoon. It now collects all his spare change. Saw a photo in Mr Tibbitts book and gave it a shot.
Not real complicated but it was fun.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Owen, it is a quick and easy project, provided that you are able to assembly a ring of laminated segments very accurately (good joints and a perfectly "round" construction). As you pointed out, I briefly showed the technique in my book. The concept has been around almost since the beginnings of segmented work, but it still requires some precise woodworking. Interestingly, I recently did a similar piece as part of a "how to" lesson on a DVD that I've been working on. The possibilities with "lamination trickery" are endless. It's an area of segmented work that needs more exploration.

Nice job to you and your son.

Mike Golka
09-26-2008, 1:31 PM
Like Malcolm said easy but not too easy, still need to pay attention to the little details. Looks like you and your son did just that. Nice looking piece.

Walt Nollan
09-26-2008, 2:05 PM
Nice looking bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2008, 8:49 PM
Good looking bowl Owen! Congrat to both you and your son! I like the wood color combination and also the 'how did he do that?' optical illusion the piece provides! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Very nice looking bowl. You and your son did well.