PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Bowl

Bob Hovde
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I finally pulled the plug and am fully retired. After a month of working on the "Honey Do" list, I had a break when LOML went off to play bridge. I quickly fired up the yellow monster and started turning logs into curls. It's been some time, and I'd forgotten some of the basic lessons in physics taught by bringing spinning things into contact with sharp objects.

Yes. The pecan "Dancing Bowl" flew around the shop a couple of times before I finally got it balanced. My daughter had asked for a bowl to auction for the granddaughters' dance team fund raiser, so the "dancing" led to the dance design. It's only about 5"X3.5" after "fixing" the learning situations.

The second bowl is 8"x3.5" and is spalted maple. The picture doesn't do the color justice. (Nor the turning.) The wood is spectacular.

Bob

steven carter
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Both are fantastic. I'm sure the dancing bowl will be a big hit at the auction!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Both are beauties and it looks like you haven't lost your touch. The bowl should do well at the auction.

Mark Burge
09-26-2008, 1:15 PM
Bob, Very nice work. The dancing bowl reminds me of those spinning animation things, where you look through slots at the top of a tube to view an image in the bottom that is animated. Your design for this bowl could be adapted to that purpose and you would have a dancing dancer on your dancing bowl. I'm sure you want to go to all that trouble.- Mark

Walt Nollan
09-26-2008, 1:23 PM
Bob, looks like your memory bounced back like your bowl did around your shop. Wish I could say I've never done that. I really like your danc'in bowl. Nice work. Welcome back to the vortex!

Walt

Mike Golka
09-26-2008, 1:28 PM
Great looking bowls! I've had a few things dance around the shop but they didn't end up nearly as nice:(

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 3:16 PM
Well, maybe from your perspective standing next to the big yellow thing you may have had to re-learn a few things, but from my eyes looking at those two wonderful pieces, you more than did justice to a couple pieces of wood! Great work!

And congrats on your retirement.

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2008, 8:32 PM
Bob - congrats on your retirement! Hope this means you will be able to spend some more time on the lathe! Outstanding pieces! The dancing bowl should go over really big at the auction! Great looking hollow form - wish I could see that wood in person as it really reflects the light! Very nice work! Thanks for posting!

earl timmons
09-26-2008, 8:52 PM
Bob, welcome to retirement. I think the bowls are fantastic and like so many other excellent pieces I see on Sawmill the piercing reminds me of the many things I have not yet tried.

So much wood and so little time. I have five grandkids and both sets of parents involved work full time with early hours. I am the school bus, the daycare bus and backup day care. I love every minute of it. I also love every minute at the lathe. I still only manage an hour or two a day and some days zero but it is much more relaxed.

Thanks for the chance to see some of your work and if your rusty I can hardly wait until your back in practice cause these two are excellent.

Keith Burns
09-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Bob, both are very nice pieces but your dancing bowl is just downright wonderful ! I love it.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Love both of your bowls Bob, very nice.

Mark Hix
09-27-2008, 8:20 AM
I looked at these last night and then came back to them this morning. I hope the auction crowd has deep pockets! Both are wonderful bowls....Maybe you need to send your wife off to play more often.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2008, 9:02 AM
Bob,

I really like your bowls! Both show some great skills.

PS. Did I mention I'm a little envious of your retirement? Congrats!:D

Scott Lux
09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm with Mark on this. I looked yesterday, and again today and showed the mrs. We like both bowls (I really like the subtle lip on the maple), but Dancing Bowl is really special. The simple form and the dyed interior show off the pierce work wonderfully. That really is spectaular.

John Shuk
09-27-2008, 1:17 PM
Both are very nice pieces.

Bob Hovde
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice words. It's been a while since the previous postings, but the auction finally took place and the "Dancing Bowl" brought $90.

Meanwhile, LOML and I (with some friends) went on a river cruise in Europe. We started in Budapest and ended in Prague. Things aren't cheap over there right now, but the scenery is beautiful, the people friendly and the beer plentiful. It just doesn't get much better than that!

Upon our return, LOML decided "we" would give bowls and pens to some of the people on the Christmas list. Oh, darn! I'll probably have to spend the next month in the shop!

Bob

Paul Engle
10-30-2008, 3:39 PM
Retirement ????? oh boy are you in for the Honey Do's. Also it looks like the dancing bowl may give over to some ornamental turning / index work and / or even a Rose Engine lathe. I throughly enjoy my ornamental turning combining it with hand work , it allows my " precise " side to co-exist with my " not so precise " side and arrive at some " pretty cool " things . I spend more time planing a piece then just forging ahead and see what happens, I REALLY get to use the smaller pieces of scrap/swarf . and if one were ever intrested in metal machine work , it is very satisfactory and a whole lot cheaper.BTW( I use my Jet 1236 along with a compound slide to machine steel and wood and am very happy with the ability of the Jet to hold tollerances) .

Christopher Fletcher
10-30-2008, 5:35 PM
That pecan bowl is great. What tool did you use to do the piercing?

Allen Neighbors
10-30-2008, 6:43 PM
What Scott said. Both of us liked them. And that subtle lip at the opening of the Maple bowl is awesome.