PDA

View Full Version : David Marks workshop questions

Bill Antonacchio
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi All,

I am trying to get time to build a new workbench and have a few questions related to that end.

David Marks, on DIY WoodWorks repeats which I watch for the little extras you can catch with repeated watching, has a router built into the side of his tablesaw and uses the fence for both. My question is how does he remove the router easily to change bits and adjust the bit?

On his workbench it looks like he uses a Record type vise with a large wood frame to operate like a twin vise would work.

I know that several forum members have taken instruction from David and I was hoping someone could shed some light on these questions.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

rob mason
09-26-2008, 11:57 AM
It's probably an insert plate that is accessed from the top. That is how I have mine setup - I have a rockler plate on the right wing of my TS. I just pull the plate up and install bits and set height.

Bill Antonacchio
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't have been able to figure that out for myself!:D:D:D:confused::confused::confused:

Oops, I just looked at the video again (have you ever seen WoodWorks?) and there isn't a "plate" to lift out. That is why I am writing. Someone who has seen the program and/or been to his shop for training, will tell you it is a very unique setup.:eek:

You might want to go to DIYnetwork.com and under woodworking take a look at some of David's projects where he is using the router and then you will understand the reason for the question.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

Eric Larsen
09-26-2008, 1:20 PM
From David's website:

Can you provide some information on your table saw / router setup? First I bought a used Delta Uni-Saw and a Biesmeyer table saw fence. I then made a torsion box 3 inches thick to be used as the top of the router table. I laminated this with Formica to allow objects to slide easily across the surface. I built a cabinet under the torsion box to house the router and blades. This was lined with a sound proofing material to deaden the noise. The router is a Porter Cable Speedmatic. It is a soft-start router with 5 speeds.

Bill Antonacchio
09-26-2008, 2:12 PM
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply, I think David wrote that a few years ago, when I first started reading it back then I thought for sure he was going to reveal something more about how he mounts the router, exchanges bits and adjusts the bit heights.

When I have ordered several project plans from him I have asked, politely, about this, but all I got each time were the plans I paid for.

That's why I am asking for anyone who has been in his shop if they had the chance to look at it or watch when he had to change a router bit during their training class.

If you have a router table and consider what he is using it has to be either something very unigue to access the router (the entire torsion box surface lifts???) or very cumbersome crawling under the table to get to the router, but I don't believe David would put himself in that situation.

As to the vise, it looks interesting, if you can catch a glimpse of it when he is working on his workbench, It seems to be very versatile but I would like some first hand input if possible.

Regards,
Bill

Mike Spanbauer
09-26-2008, 5:33 PM
You know, I've been there, have my own pictures, and never looked closely at the router setup. I can't honestly say even though I've cut a number of pieces on that surface.

I *believe* that the unit raises the bit above the table. I thought for SURE one of his episodes had further detail on it, but I've not watched them recently (have them all recorded, but not indexed).

Send an email directly, either he or his wife, Victoria, will reply. Both are great people and genuinely care for the woodworking community. A nicer guy you couldn't ask to meet :)

mike