PDA

View Full Version : Chuck recommendations please

Matt Newton
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I just recently started turning and have done mostly spindle work and some faceplate turning. Now I'm interested in taking the next step in this slippery slope and trying my hand at bowls. I'm in the market for a 4 jaw chuck and would like some recommendations for which one to buy. As always limiting the cost would be a bonus. Please help me out with this purchase and remember I'm new so any other words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Since a good chuck can stay with you through more than one lathe, I'm more in favor of investing in something that includes replaceable inserts for adapting to the spindle threading as well as a good assortment of available jaw types and sizes. OneWay, Vicmarc and the NOVA products (and maybe some others) feature products with these features. Personally, I use a OneWay Talon and it's been with me through several lathes.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with Jim. Get one that will follow as you upgrade your lathe. I happen to have the Vicmarc VM 100.

Matt Newton
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I was surfing Ebay, and saw a Nova G3 chuck with an insert for $114. Is this a good price and good chuck for my needs?

Wilbur Pan
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I like Vicmarc chucks. I had the VM100, and recently sold it only because I bought a bigger lathe with a 1-1/2" x 8 tpi spindle, and the VM100 didn't have an insert that big. So I bought the VM120, which is the bigger Vicmarc chuck.

However, all the "normal" lathes (Jet, Powermatic, Stubby, Robust, Oneway, etc.) have spindle threads that the VM100 will fit on. It's my lathe that's the issue, and if I could have kept my VM100, I would have.

David Walser
09-26-2008, 1:07 PM
Matt,

I own a Vicmark chuck and a cheap, generic, chuck. I love the Vicmark. I don't use the generic chuck.

Having said that, I strongly suggest you consider not getting a chuck right now. The use of 4 jaw chucks is relatively new to woodturning. Chucks, by and large, do not allow you to do things on a lathe that cannot be done without a chuck. They just allow you to do those things more conveniently and more quickly.

Instead of getting a chuck, consider buying several faceplates that you can dedicate for use with glue blocks. (Don Pencil is a good source: http://donpencil.com/) Another faceplate can be dedicated to a large MDF disk for use in making jam chucks for reverse turning bowls. A primary advantage of a chuck is the ability to switch between projects just by removing one from the chuck and setting it aside while using the chuck on the new project. With two faceplates, you can do the same thing.

By first learning "the old way" of doing things, you'll save a few dollars up front. More importantly, when you do buy a chuck, you'll have a better idea what type of turnings you'll be using the chuck for and can buy the right size (and right sized jaws) for those projects. And don't worry that you'll have wasted money on those "extra" faceplates. Even with a chuck, you'll always find a use for a faceplate. They're like clamps. You can never have enough.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-26-2008, 2:50 PM
I have recently upgraded my lathe and have found the comments here from others to be quite accurate. Buy good stuff and it follows you along. Sadly the opposite is also true. Buy lower quality less expensive stuff and it follows you along as well.

I have 2 chucks. A PSI Barracuda 2, and a copy of it from CSUSA that was called the Apprentice Chuck. Both cost me about $150. The PSI I actually bought from Amazon as it was cheaper that from PSI directly. The other I got on a decent sale and drove down to Craft Supplies and just picked it up.

For that $150 both come with a large set of jaws. I.e. most of the more expensive chucks come with just 1 set of jaws. Mine came with 4 sets each. The new kits come with 5 but are a bit more expensive.

The chucks have worked just fine for me in the past. But now my new lathe has changes the spindle size for the 3rd time on me. My first lathe had a 3/4" 16tpi spindle so I needed an adapter. There was no appreciable runout at the time but I had to spend more. My second lathe had a 1" x 8tpi spindle and thing just fit right on with out an adapter. The new lathe has a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi threaded spindle. So I have to once again get a new adapter as it won't work without one.

The first adapter I got was from PSI and was about $20. Given the cost of the new lathe I bought a better one and I bought a Powermatic brand one. I got a great price from toolnut.com and still paid 3x what I had before. Between the $60 for the adapter and the $150 for the chuck I paid as much as a Oneway Talon chuck would have cost me.

At the time I was all enamored of the flexibility provided by the replaceable jaws. Turns out I hate replacing them. Slow tedious work with tiny screws that love to drop into the shavings on the floor. :( Hence the second chuck. I have 1 chuck with cole jaws mounted on it, and it hasn't changed since, and 1 chuck with the stock #2 jaws which have never been changed and works for everything I have turned up to and including a 12"x6" Black Walnut bowl.

So my conclusions? If price is a major issue or you are basically never going to use it then go for the PSI and get the flexbility and enjoy it. It will work for you. If you have any room to play at all in your budget get a better chuck like a Talon and enjoy the longevity.

Hope this help and YMMV,
Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2008, 8:46 PM
Matt - I am a Oneway Talon user and love it! The chuck has done everything I have asked of it and more! There are a number of chucks out there that will work well for you but you may cost a little more money. I agree with Jim's statements as to why you should consider getting a quality chuck as opposed to a clone. A quality chuck is a one time investment that will continue to work for you no matter how many lathes you go through! It's a personal choice - hope you find a chuck that works well for you!

Richard Madison
09-26-2008, 9:27 PM
Granted that the more expensive item is frequently (but not always) the better item. That said, you might consider the Grizzly $99 chuck. It has a threaded insert which can be changed when you upgrade to a larger lathe, various available jaw sets, and is said to be a clone of one of the Vicmark chucks. It centers well, if imperfectly, holds the wood securely and causes it to rotate when the lathe is turned on. The first one (at $79) was good enough that I was willing to pay $99 for the second one, to avoid changing jaws. YMMV.

Allen Neighbors
09-26-2008, 9:35 PM
I have two Supernova2 Chucks and one larger, Nova Titan. All jaws will switch around on all chucks, with one exception... The Titan's Powergrip jaws won't fit on the smaller chucks.
I love the versatility of the Nova.
I also have a Nova Compac on my mini lathe... no other jaws will fit it.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-26-2008, 9:54 PM
I am a Oneway chuck user, I have a couple of both Stronghold and Talon Chucks plus all the Jaw sets and the Mega Jumbo Jaws.
There are a couple of reasons I believe these chucks are the better choice,
Longer travel of the jaws for more flexibility, together with the patented jaw shape makes for better holding and resulting in the less often changing need of the top jaws.
Hardened carbon steel jaws and non rusting nickel plated body, and every possible thread and size inserts available, and a perfect customer service record.
I have and do use my chucks almost daily for more than 10 years already, and never had a problem with them or felt sorry I bought them.

As I often say, "Quality hurt once, but cheap hurts every time you have to use it" :eek:

Kevin Groenke
09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I will not pretend ton be a learned authority, but I've been pretty impressed with the Grizzly Vicmarc copy.

-kg

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
I will not pretend ton be a learned authority, but I've been pretty impressed with the Grizzly Vicmarc copy.

-kg

Just for some info I also do have 3 of the grizzly $99 chucks and the Vicmarc VM100 jaws will fit it. I have not have any problems with these grizz chucks.

Richard Madison
09-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Kevin and Bernie, thanks for your support. "Relatively inexpensive" is not necessarily the same as "cheap". OTOH a BMW is undeniably better than a Yugo, and I would be willing to spend the extra money in order to drive the former, if those were the only choices available.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2008, 9:19 AM
I have a SN2 and it works well.

Skip Spaulding
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I have SN2 and Barracuda2, no trouble with either. Probably will buy 2nd SN2.

Ron Bontz
09-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I just went through this same issue and finally settled on the talon chuck on sale at Hartville Tool. Best of luck.:)

Ken Glass
09-27-2008, 4:19 PM
I'm with Ken. I have the Super Nova 2 chuck and it is a great chuck. Many jaws to choose from and comes with 50mm.

Mike Henderson
09-27-2008, 4:45 PM
I have SN2 and Barracuda2, no trouble with either. Probably will buy 2nd SN2.

I have exactly the same thing. The only issue with the SN2 is that there's some coverage gaps. I don't remember the exact dimensions, so I'm using these numbers as examples.

Let's say 3". One set of jaws opens to 2.85" and the next set of jaws goes down to 3.15". So there's a gap between 2.85" and 3.15". I did find that the stepped jaws gave coverage of the hole, but I don't like the stepped jaws as well as regular jaws.

On the SN2 there were two gaps in coverage. You can look at the Nova (Teknatool) web site - they give the coverage for each set of jaws for the SN2 (and other chucks).

While some say to just avoid the gaps, I don't accept that solution. The chuck should do what I want it to - I should not have to accommodate it's shortcomings.

I can't say if other brands have the same coverage gaps. If that's important to you, check before you buy.

Otherwise, the SN2 has been excellent. Well made and with a full set of jaw options.

Mike