PDA

View Full Version : Im Fretting over the design.

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 10:47 AM
I am in the midst of designing a wood shelf for my friend's PT Cruiser. For the past three years, he runs a PT Cruiser show and shine in Niagara Falls. This event has raised over $38,000 for make a wish in the past three years. I am making this shelf to thank him for his hard work.

For those who are not familiar with the car, It comes with a plastic shelf that you can use to increase the ammount of cargo space, add privacy to the cargo space, or use as a tailgating table. There have been many made from wood and I want to make one myself. Sean is a proud Canuck, so I will make his look like a Canadian flag. The left and right thirds of the shelf and the maple leaf will be either cherry or bloodwood. The center will be maple (of course). Are there any other suggestions on a good red coloured wood to use? My biggest concern will be inserting the maple leaf into the middle of the board. I have never done this before and I could use some tips and advise on how to do it.

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Here is an example of what I will be making. This one was made by a guy I know in St Louis.

Dan

Robert Ducharme
05-14-2004, 1:10 PM
If it is used for tailgating, how about adding a set of detachable cup holders or integrate them in with the ability to place in a wood insert to make the self level. Could also integrate in a hot plate that plugs into the power extension. make it removable for alternate events.

The following is from an amateur (me):

Concerning wood colors, you can dye almost anything to any color.

To insert in the middle, make the middle and then draw out the outline on the base board. Use a band saw and cut it out. You could do it as an inlay or as a solid piece so it is visible both sides.

Kent Cori
05-14-2004, 1:46 PM
Dan,

Bloodwood may meet your need for the red colored wood and it is relatively inexpensive for an exotic.

Dave Brandt
05-14-2004, 2:09 PM
Bloodwood for the red for sure. For the leaf, I'd make a template and use the router with inlay bushing kit to do the inlay. I got mine from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/search_results.cfm?filter=inlay+bushing
but I'm sure you could find it in other places. It works really well.

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 4:36 PM
Is there any risk of sunlight darkening bloodwood?

Dan

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2004, 6:16 PM
Every red wood I've ever tried has aged to brown. If I wanted something to stay red, especially in sunlight, I'd use red paint. Or if it really needed to look like wood, red aniline dye. For the dye, use water-borne. It is more resistant to sunlight fading than alcohol- or oil-borne.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 8:48 PM
So is it better to start out with a red wood or something that stains well or easily or is cheap/easy to work?

Todd Burch
05-15-2004, 12:26 AM
If I had to do this job, I would tape off the maple leaf (everything BUT the maple leaf) and shoot it with red toner. Then, remove the tape and shoot the whole enchilada with lacquer. Much redder than any wood.

Dan Mages
05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
If I had to do this job, I would tape off the maple leaf (everything BUT the maple leaf) and shoot it with red toner. Then, remove the tape and shoot the whole enchilada with lacquer. Much redder than any wood.

This may be a good solution. I will have to see if my vinyl supplier can provide a vinyl tempate for the maple leaf. Is there any risk of the red toner leaching into the area around the maple leaf? Do you have any reccomendations on brands of toner?

Dan