PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 Planer

Prashun Patel
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Got an offer to get an almost new one for $330 no tax no deliv fee.
Assuming knives are in good condition, is this a good buy?

Don Bullock
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
It all depends on the condition of the planer. "Almost new" can mean different things. If it's in excellent condition I'd say you have a pending gloat.:D

The current price on Amazon is $549 which seems to be the "going" price for one these days and they rarely go lower. I may have seen one a little cheaper lately at Lowe's, but I'm not sure.

Kurt Rosenzweig
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
I have this planner and like it. FYI the knifes are easy to replace and you can even flip them over since they are sharpened on both sides.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Agree with Don, "it depends". but if it's in good shape, that's a great deal. even if you need to replace the knives and it needs a 'cleaning', that's a good deal. Check the carriage up/down motion, and look for obvious abuse. open the top and check out the inner workings and the blades - you might be able to see if the other edge of the blades are in good shape.

Lowes had them new for $450 at one point, and I used a few "project starter" cards to get it down around 405, but that was a while ago. I've not seen it that cheaply since.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
btw, the comments you read about it being L-O-U-D are totally true. it seemed a little better when connected to a DC hose, but then you have the DC going too. ear protection is a must, and make sure anyone else in the house is OK with it...

Prashun Patel
09-26-2008, 2:29 PM
Thanks. I picked it up at lunch. It looks to be in new condition. No dings; knives are pristine (looking!). He even ran a rough cherry plank through it 4 times and it performed like butter.

I actually found the dc to be really good and it wasn't that loud.

Best of all, the guy's SHOP looked fantastic; meticulous and clean and well organized. So, my gut is that he kept this in good condition.

Bought in Apr 08 for 1 project. Wife thought it was too expensive to keep, so he wanted to get rid of it.

Gloat. Now, how to hide it until LOML isn't looking so I can sneak YALDT (Yet-Another-Loud-Dusty-Tool) down to the basement....

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-26-2008, 2:31 PM
Nice pickup! I think you'll like it. As much as I'd like a bigger one, the 735 is great for the "space constrained".

There's another thread on here about upgrading the 735 to a Shelix head, you might want to check that out if you're ever thinking of upgrading it.

Prashun Patel
09-26-2008, 2:33 PM
thanks! Will do.

peter de tappan
09-26-2008, 4:25 PM
Holbren is selling the Byrd Shelix head for a $339 promotional price until 9/30.
I ordered mine last week and the waiting time is 4 weeks. The demand caught the
manufacturer by surprise. A lot of people want one.

Don Bullock
09-26-2008, 4:59 PM
Thanks. I picked it up at lunch. It looks to be in new condition. No dings; knives are pristine (looking!). He even ran a rough cherry plank through it 4 times and it performed like butter.

So, where are the pictures?;):D

Andy Casiello
09-26-2008, 5:14 PM
I've got one too. Picked it up from ebay just a month or so ago. Great machine! Congrats!