PDA

View Full Version : Curved spokeshave opinions?

Ben Rafael
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I need a curved spokeshave for a project I am finishing. I probably wont need it again so I dont want to spend too much on one. I like simpler spokeshaves like the Boggs from LieNielsen, but it is $149. Does anyone know of one like that that isn't quite so expensive?
Also, I see these for sale:
A stanley for about $27 http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/827102_230.jpg

and this Veritas for about $70
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web4490.jpg

The pic of the stanley is flat, but they make the same one curved also. I am leery of the stanley because what i've seen of new stanley planes. I dont mind having to prep the blade but I dont want to have to do any work on the body of a new shave.

Your opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Derek Cohen
09-26-2008, 1:06 PM
Hi Ben

Avoid the Stanley like the plague! Unless you are a total masochist.

Generally, round bottomed spokeshaves are harder to control since you are balancing/referencing on a small area. The Stanley really sucks here. I have not used the LN round (I have the Boggs flat, but it is a new tool and I cannot comment on it - after this weekend I will be able to do so though). I have used the HNT Gordon round, and it is really excellent. But all these spokeshaves are more than you want to spend.

So, what else could you use? The question is what are you trying to do?

Happily, most flat bottomed spokeshaves are capable are being used quite well also on inside curves. A good and inexpensive user is a Stanley #53. Some like the Stanley #64. For end grain and softwood I like the Veritas LA.

There are some illustrations of the curves cut by different makes in my review of the HNT Gordon spokeshaves ... http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/THE%20HNT%20GORDON%20SPOKESHAVES.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chuck Nickerson
09-26-2008, 1:09 PM
If you're only going to use it once, you can sell it as slightly used after you are done. That way, either the LV (which I have and love) or the LN will cost less than the Stanley.

Ben Rafael
09-26-2008, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Derek, you will love the boggs flat, I have one and use it like mad. It is an idiot proof tool.

What I am trying to do is shape a depression that has a radius of about 18". My flat bottom shave is not working at the point where I am, it did fine getting me here, but it's not cutting the musturd now.

Stephen Shepherd
09-26-2008, 2:43 PM
do you need the spokeshave to be? If you only are doing a narrow edge you might consider the three bronze spokeshave set; one flat, one curved and one spoon. They are under $30.00 and I think LV sells them.

Stephen

Ben Rafael
09-26-2008, 2:51 PM
This is the $25 set you mention.
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/61p1010g1.jpg
I saw it but didn't think an $8 spokeshave would actually be a functional tool.
Have you used them?

Stephen Shepherd
09-26-2008, 3:32 PM
I have gone through 3 sets; sold one, gave one away and am using my third. They do require sharpening or at least honing, but they are very handy. I am surprised how much I use them.

I showed them to a blacksmith and he made me a miniature tanged spoke shave blade an inch long, as a joke. I handled it with dogwood and use it more than the big ones. But the bronze ones work great and for the price hard to beat.

Stephen

Ben Rafael
09-26-2008, 3:44 PM
I dont mind prepping the blade, I just dont want to have to deal with having to fix the body.

Pam Niedermayer
09-26-2008, 4:14 PM
...What I am trying to do is shape a depression that has a radius of about 18". My flat bottom shave is not working at the point where I am, it did fine getting me here, but it's not cutting the musturd now.

Why not try a big gouge?

Pam

Brian Kent
09-26-2008, 5:54 PM
Here's what I use for inside curves. They are amazingly solid and accurate. Also inexpensive (2 for $27.50), pretty…

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46321&cat=1,41182,46334

Ben Rafael
09-26-2008, 6:26 PM
Are they flat, convex or concave?
It is not clear from the website.

Jack Camillo
09-26-2008, 6:29 PM
If I understand your purpose, then:
Clifton 500 Convex Spokeshave
Convex for recessed work.
I have this and it's concave mate coming in the mail now. I think "The Best Things" has about the best price: $ 94.95 (but I haven't researched it into the ground).
I was fortunate to come across a recent post here for a used set a little less expensive.

Brian Kent
09-26-2008, 7:38 PM
Ben, if you are asking me that question, the body is curved but the blade is flat. The blade is also narrow so that it can easily do inside curves.

Mark Singer
09-26-2008, 7:57 PM
Ben,
The Veritas at $70 which you show is terriffic ! They also have a great kit for a wood body spoke shave that is really great as well. The Stanleys and Kunz are worthless!

Derek Cohen
09-26-2008, 8:59 PM
Hi again Ben

What about the LV Squirrel Tail ..

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/15p1010s3.jpg

$47.00

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill Houghton
09-28-2008, 8:15 PM
do NOT get the metal-bodied spokeshave with the knurled adjusting nuts. If you project the curve of the body, the nuts will be right in your way. I found this true even with a flat-bodied shave - the body could follow a tighter inside curve than the nuts permitted, so I'd start out fine for the first inch or so, then run into interference.

I moved to a Stanley 52 (adjust by guess), the commoner pattern being the 51 (51: gull wing handles; 52: straight handles).

Even this can't handle some inside curves. I recently acquired a Kelly Toolworks repro of the Millers Falls cigar shave, which I am still learning to use but which seems great for tighter inside curves than other shaves can handle.

But all this is probably irrelevant if you're expecting limited use. Have you considered a rasp (half-round or round), followed by a scraper or [bad word alert!] sandpaper? Rasps are amazingly versatile tools, and not too expensive ($20-30 for a common or garden variety rasp - though, of course, you can get expensive with these too). You won't want to sell it after - uses are always coming up for a rasp.