PDA

View Full Version : Basic Saw Questions

Dan Sims
05-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I am new to the forum, but have lurked here for a while and have been impressed with the wisdom and attitude of the forum memebers. I am on the last phase of building my initial neanderthal tool box, which are my hand saws. There seems to be a good following of the Adria saws from other forum members and I have pretty much decided of those vs. the L-N.

I plan on projects that will require dovetails and mortis/tenon joinery. My question is basic. When cutting tenons, you make both rip as well as crosscuts. Do I need TWO tenon saws, one rip, one crosscut, or can I purchase only one? I had planned on purchasing a dovetail saw and a tenon saw. If I purchase only one tenon saw, which do I purchase, rip or crosscut?

I appreciate your input and advice. Thanks.

Tim Sproul
05-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Rip cut for which one. Rip will do fine on crosscutting dried lumber. Crosscut will rip dried lumber too but it is very slow going......

Dave Anderson NH
05-14-2004, 1:07 PM
You present an intreresting question. For the short term you can buy a crosscut tenon saw ( or carcass saw) and use the dovetail saw for the ripping down the tenon cheeks. Long term however, you will want a separate tenon saw which will allow you to rip to a greater depth than you can get by using the dovetail saw for ripping. Something in the neighborhood of 4" blade height would be ideal. You've started youself upon the proverbial slippery slope, I hope you enjoy the ride.

Tyler Howell
05-14-2004, 4:27 PM
I'm sorry Dan,
Too many new folks in the Creek this week. Would couldn't possibly handle any more Pix and info and pix and good talk and pix and jokes or pix and new Ideas! You'll have to leave:(
Not! Welcome, Get wet.:D

Bob Smalser
05-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Do I need TWO tenon saws, one rip, one crosscut, or can I purchase only one?

You only need one tenon saw...I've never seen one with rip teeth, probably because it'd be harder to start in a spot where you want a nice, clean cut. For the width and depth of tenons, crosscut teeth in the rip mode are no big deal.

Still doesn't make sense to me to spend a hundred bucks on a saw when you can get a Disston or Atkins for 20, though. Those new ones will need cleaning and sharpening eventually...you might as well learn to do it now on something less expensive whike you are just starting out.

Don't be mislead by claims of steel hardness...once you have filing and sharpening skills, you don't want real hard steel as it is so much more difficult to sharpen....that goes for plane and chisel blades, too. You'll do better work over the long haul by touching up your tools ...saws, too...as you go rather than sending them out. Anything you send out you need a couple-three of or you'll surely be using dull blades and your work will show it.