PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vista Software Compatability

Keith Outten
09-26-2008, 9:05 AM
I recently purchased a new computer workstation that I intend to use for design work that runs Microsoft Vista. I am interested in any problems that you have found with software or drivers that won't run on Vista. Rather than struggling to make something work that won't I thought it might be easier to have a list of known software that people already know won't work and possibly a list of programs that run fine.

Help me out...tell me what works and what doesn't.
Corel Draw X3 ?
Autocad R14 ?
Paint Shop Pro 7 ?
What else ?

Lee DeRaud
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
The only XP-vintage software that wouldn't work on my machines were a long-out-of-date copy of Roxio Creator and Visual C++ 6.0. Hardware-wise, a very old Canon scanner had no Vista driver available.

The good news is, in all three cases, no significant time was lost finding out: there's a compatibility tester (free somewhere on microsoft.com) that will scan your old machine's software and peripherals and tell you which ones will work under Vista...seems to be very accurate. (I tried to install all three items mentioned above: they failed cleanly very early in the install process.)

Of course that assumes you already own the stuff you plan to install, but if you're buying new, it's unlikely to be a problem anyway at this point.

Jim Watkins
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Keith,
I have an Epilog and am running my system on Vista 64 Bit. I have not had any compatibility problems as of yet (knock on wood). The systems I am running are:
Corel X4
Photograv 3.0
MS Office
Epilog 64 bit vista print driver (beta version)

I had a downloaded version of Corel X3 and did have a problem loading it so I just went ahead and purchased the full version of X4.

Mike Null
09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Keith

I have X3 on my Vista laptop. So far no problems with X3 or Office 2007though this isn't my everyday pc.

Now Vista is another matter. I cannot bring myself to like the program.

Matt Meiser
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Not sure if you use it, but my 2005 edition of Cut List Plus doesn't work on my wife's new Vista machine. It hangs whenever you try to access a menu. I still need to contact them, but I'll bet upgrading is the only solution.

Edit: I just got confirmation from CutList Plust support that only the latest version is compatible with Vista, so I have to pay $69 to upgrade to one that will work. :( At least I can still use it on my shop PC.

Lee DeRaud
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I had a downloaded version of Corel X3 and did have a problem loading it so I just went ahead and purchased the full version of X4.FYI, I had some similar issues (described here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76829) but only on one of the two new Vista machines.

X4 and X4-SP1 went in without a whimper.

James Stokes
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
The autocad r14 will have a problem. Autocad 2007 had a problem but the had a patch for it.

James Jaragosky
09-26-2008, 2:58 PM
The autocad r14 will have a problem. Autocad 2007 had a problem but the had a patch for it.
IT makes a big difference, as most programs that will work with windows xp can work with 32 bit vista some will require a little work on your end.
But vista 64 is a whole different story. If you are planning on using a vista 64 bit machine you should probably list the software your planning to use to see if anyone has had issues with the product.
I have a new machine runing vista 64.
I have had issues with several software programs and a few hardware set ups. Some software problems are as easy to fix as opening them as a administrator, others will not work at all.
Some will load but not work, others will not load at all.
Good luck in your purchase. (also do not believe the hype my $1500 vista machine is still slower than my 4 year old P4 machine running XP. and a lot more temperamental) :(
Jim J.

Roy Brewer
09-26-2008, 4:30 PM
...problems that you have found with software or drivers that won't run on Vista. Keith,
Your query appeared to be more for software, but even the newest of the vectorizing HP ScanJets do not have Vista drivers and HP apparently has no intention of providing them. But that's probably reasonable, I think the latest one is now 6 years old.

John Noell
09-26-2008, 4:31 PM
Some programs that don't play nicely with Vista WILL run if you run them under XP compatibility. (Go to the program ".exe" in the Program Files folder, right click, choose "properties",click compatibility tab, then choose "Run this program in compatibility mode for...")

Bill Cunningham
09-27-2008, 7:55 PM
Some programs that don't play nicely with Vista WILL run if you run them under XP compatibility. (Go to the program ".exe" in the Program Files folder, right click, choose "properties",click compatibility tab, then choose "Run this program in compatibility mode for...")

Ahhh I had asked about this in another thread, it may have been answered there, but I just haven't seen it yet.. Will it go back as far as to let you run cmd.com?

John Noell
09-27-2008, 8:33 PM
Ahhh I had asked about this in another thread, it may have been answered there, but I just haven't seen it yet.. Will it go back as far as to let you run cmd.com?
Sorry, no. Although there is a "DOS" command prompt in XP and Vista, it is not the real DOS prompt and AFAIK has no I/O functions.

Bill Cunningham
09-27-2008, 9:11 PM
Sorry, no. Although there is a "DOS" command prompt in XP and Vista, it is not the real DOS prompt and AFAIK has no I/O functions.

Just curious.. I have some old special programs that I wrote over 20 years ago (using a version of the original K&R 'C' ) that I use from time that run under dos.. Only output is to the screen and drive.. I think my original backups are still on 5 1/4 floppys:D .. Gad I hate change..:mad::o

Bill Morrison
09-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip about changing the exe to run with xp. I also have trouble with anything running properly with my slow quad4 3 gig Ram machine. Vista makes it run slower than my win 2K machine. Everytime I tried to do anything in Corel the program would shut down. I changed the .exe as you suggested and so far not a problem That's not to say there won't be but I used it for a few hours the other night and was surprised it didn't quit.

Thanks
Bill

Tim Bateson
09-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Photograv 3.0 is flaky on Vista. Stick with XP Pro.

jeremy haneca
09-29-2008, 11:45 PM
keith, i just got over my software compatabilies with vista. i bought a new compaq hp with a vista 32 bit system on it. it was not easy, i got many different answers from many different people. i finally got it working( by i , i mean my little techy brother) this weekend. what machine are you running? i have laserpro files from gcc.

Keith Outten
09-30-2008, 7:34 AM
Jeremy,

My new Vista machine is 64 bit but I don't have to use it to run my Epilog Legend or any other equipment. My primary interest for this computer is design work as I plan to continue to use my XP Pro machine to run my engraver, vinyl cutter and dye-sub printer in my office. The Vista machine will also be used for email and working here at The Creek.

My XP workhorse will be just a few feet away in case the Vista machine gets a virus or blows up in my face :) I also have a laptop running XP Pro that is setup for running my engraver, CNC router, vinyl cutter and dye-sub printer. I learned long ago never to rely on one machine to run my sign business, it left me in a serious bind one day when I got a real bad virus and had to format the drive. These days I use external USB hard drives to store all of my data and I don't store anything of value on the operating system drives. I also have been making sure that my data and design files are stored on multiple machines/USB drives that includes one machine that isn't connected to the Internet. I guess I am gun shy these days, maybe I'm too careful.........

Next up Aaron is going to build me a killer Linux Box/Workstation to dedicate to most of my Internet related activities.