PDA

View Full Version : Basswood Question.

Ross Ellis
09-26-2008, 7:38 AM
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but since you guys deal with Basswood I figure I will ask here. I have a massive (80+ feet tall, 3 40" trunks) Basswood tree that needs to come down. Carving has interested me for a while, and I plan on getting into it when I have more free time. I am wondering what size to mill the lumber? What sizes are the most common for carving? What sizes might I use when I finally get into carving? I don't think I will be able to use near the lumber from tree in my lifetime and may sell some off in the future (locally, this is not an ad :), so would like to know common milling sizes. My guess is there will be some spalting in the butt log (if Basswood is prone to spalting?). Is spalted Basswood good for anything or is it firewood?

Thanks, Ross

Chuck Nickerson
09-26-2008, 1:03 PM
Speaking (or writing) as a carver, not a sawyer, keep it in blocks as large as practical. I don't like gluing several smaller blocks together for a large carving project, and often pay a premium for a large block.

Jim Finn
09-26-2008, 3:43 PM
any basswood with much visble grain in it is considered sub-par. It is still used but clear is preferred. Deciding on the sizes to cut to, remember it takes about a year to dry into 1/2" of wood so a 4" thick piece will take over 4 years to dry. Look here to see avaiable sizes:Itasca Wood Products (http://www.itascawoodproducts.com/shop.php?product=Carving_Wood&cart_id=)

Ross Ellis
09-26-2008, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at 10-12 years (retirement) before I will have any kind of time to pursue carving. Excellent info and answered my questions. I'll cross my fingers and hope for no branches inside the trunk. The lower branches are pretty high up....but you never know until you start sawing what you will find....I was also surprised to see 4x as the widest Itasca offered. I have to wonder if they don't offer 8x or 10x sizing because of time contraints on drying...

Jim Finn
09-26-2008, 5:37 PM
Shipping costs & demand I suspect limit the sizes.