PDA

View Full Version : How To Attach This?

Keith Starosta
05-14-2004, 9:32 AM
My basement has a set of french doors that open up to a 6' wide walk-up into my backyard. Currently, the tops of the walk-up walls have cheap, builder-installed metal railings that basically look like garbage. They've started rusting and leaving nasty orange lines down both sides. My solution is to remove them and install PT wooden handrails and railings. I scoped out my neighborhood and found a newer home that had this exact set-up, so I snapped a few pictures for reference. My question is, based on the picture below, what type of fastener is being used to hold the 4x4 to the concrete wall? Obviosuly, it is some type of lag bolt with a large washer, but is it just "tapped" into the wall? If that's not the best solution, what would be?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to tackle this project this weekend.

Keith

Greg Heppeard
05-14-2004, 9:57 AM
From your pic, it looks to be drilled and anchored into the mortor joint. You can use the lead type concrete anchors for this, but I think I would use two anchors for each post. I'm into overkill on most of my projects.

Mark Rios
05-14-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree that you could use some type of lead anchor, whether a lead sleeve type with bolt or a wedge type stud with a nut from the outside. What I really like to use in situations like this though is the type of anchor where you drill the hole, insert a glass tube of epoxy and drive the stud in, breaking the glass and mixing the two parts of the epoxy in the glass tube. Allow it to cure and, voi`la, you've got an exceptionally strong stud. These are kind of expensive but they are engineered for really high strength applications. They work really well and they become part of the masonry. If a failure occurs, it is usually the surrounding masonry that fails instead of the epoxy pulling out of the hole. I also agree with the use of two fasteners instead of one. Just a thought.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Keith, I'm with Greg. Looks drilled and anchored into the mortar joint. I, also agree use more than one anchor in each post. I subscribe to the theory that you can't build something too strong and you seldom have to apologize for doing so!

Jason Roehl
05-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Greg--that's no mortar joint. Those are "stamped" concrete veneers (you can see the vertical joint just past the first post). But, I'm with you. I like the sleeved expansion anchors. Of course, those could be slathered with some epoxy prior to installation in the hole for added strength. And, two is definitely better than one per post. The ones in the pic are plenty low IMO--there's ALOT of leverage working against that single bolt, not to mention that railings are suppost to withstand (at least in some circumstances) a 200-lb lateral force.

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 10:47 AM
A second bolt isn't needed for shear strength...mostly it would be insurance against racking. If that is a 3/8" or 1/2" lag bolt, those are monster fasteners when you hold it in your hand!

Go to Home Depot and check out what they have for fastening stuff to concrete/brick. Basically, you drill a hole in the concrete (use a hammer drill and a good masonry bit and plenty of ear/eye protection), tap in the anchor, and thread the lag bolt home. Be sure to use galvanized steel since this will be an exterior application.

Keith Starosta
05-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys! :)

Jason is correct in that these are poured, stamped concrete walls. It shouldn't be any difference, though. I should have mentioned that I was going to go "above and beyond", and use two bolts per post, but thanks for mentioning it anyway. :D I'm going to check out some of my anchoring options at lunch today. Thanks again!

Keith

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Go to your local home center and look for a threaded cylinder that is split in two or has an open seam on one side. You need to drill a whole in the concrete about 20% longer than the sleeve. Then pound the cylinder into the cleaned out hole with a hammer. When you drive your lag bolt into the sylinder, it will expand and apply pressure to the concrete. This will provide more than plenty strength for your post. :)

Good luck

Dan

chris toomey
05-14-2004, 11:50 AM
what about notching or "halflapping" the posts ont the wall for added support?

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 1:00 PM
Perfect!...You nailed that one, Chris.