PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Storage (Gloat)........

Mike Langford
09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey Guys,

For the longest time I've been wanting to find a way to store my router bits in one place (instead of scattered in boxes, pouches, drawers, etc.)

I've toyed with the ideal of building a storage cabinet but never seem to come up with a (simple & easy) design I liked.....

I'm also always on the look out for everyday items that I can "adapt" to my shop needs!

Well, Yesterday I was on my way down to my Woodworker's Guild to check out their lumber supply when I drove by the local Habitat For Humanities thrift/materials store.

I drove past it about a block then said to myself...."I'll just stop in and see what they've got!" (Now, I wasn't looking for anything inparticular)....So I turned around and went back!

I wandered around lookin' at all the different items....nothing really grabbing my attention...then....I noticed a narrow shelf melamine box that the shelves would slide in & out on dowels and I immediately started thinking "That could be "adapted" to hold router bits!"......

.....So I filed it away in the back of my head for now and kept looking!

Now, since I saw that box my "adaptin' juices" were flowing, I turned around and spotted "The Perfect" item for my bit storage needs....As I tucked it under my arm and headed for the check-outs I mumbled to myself and said "I'd give atleast $10 buck for it!" ;)

Got to the counter and asked how much they were asking for the item and the lady said........"$10" :eek::rolleyes::D

SO!.......Here's my (new) Router Bit Storage Cabinet......

The cabinet is a Stainless Steel medicine cabinet that other than a few light scratches and one ding (on the back) is brand new...even still had the plastic on the shelves! (The "knob" is a stainless steel robe hook I'd picked up elsewhere for .50 cents...worked pretty good! :p)
97551 97552

I cut some 3/4" MDF to mount the bits in.....

Tah-Da!........All loaded up!.....

Now I've got a Lean, Mean, Clean, Industrial Lookin', Stainless Steel Router Bit Storage Cabinet!!!!!! (looks so shiney I think I need some decals or somthin' to put on the door!)

Don Abele
09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Mike, that's an awesome storage cabinet, especially thanks to your creativeness.

What makes it even better is the price - nice haul!

Be well,

Doc

Tim Thomas
09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Quick, effective and darned nice looking to boot. Add in the low cost and that there is a winner! There is a place near me that specializes in closeouts of stuff like this. I'll have to stop in and see if they have any inexpensive medicine cabinets. Thanks for the idea.

Matt Meiser
09-25-2008, 11:16 PM
That's a lot like mine--only my cabinet is a wood cabinet my grandfather built when my dad was a kid. I find this kind of cabinet works great because the storage is high density, but its still easy to find and get at what you need.

Mike Langford
09-26-2008, 1:09 PM
Thanks for the complements guys!

The hardest part was deciding how to space out the holes in the MDF and the bit arrangement.

Drilling the 1/4" bit holes were easy.....I just used a 17/64" drill bit and was done....BUT I didn't have a 33/64" or 13mm bit for the 1/2" shank bits so I had to drill them 1/2" and then use a large round file and slightly oversize 48 holes by hand!.....:eek::D

p.s. Tim your quote is SO true......

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2008, 1:11 PM
Very nice Mike, the cabinet looks great.........Rod.

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 3:48 PM
Great setup! Hmmm...I have an old "antique" oak medicine cabinet lying around...hmm.... :D Thanks for the idea!