PDA

View Full Version : Can tailstocks be upgraded?

Matt Wolboldt
09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
So this maybe a silly question, but I was wondering if I can upgrade my tailstock on my Jet1220VS. It works well enough, but I would like something that's a little beefier and has graduations on the morse taper part of it.
Matt

Jim Underwood
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Well if a new center can be considered an upgrade, then yes certainly you can. The OEM centers are usually pretty average, and I've been looking at new ones myself.

The Oneway system seems like the measuring stick for live centers. I've ogled that one more than once.

I recently got an advert about the Nova tailstock center system, and am giving serious thought to that. It has not one, not two, but three bearings in it, plus several types of center accessories- so it's plenty "beefy".

As for the "beefy-ness" of the tailstock casting, well, I'm afraid you're on your own there....

However, you might invest in a better machined banjo "washer" for the tailstock. The mini 1014 tailstock is always sliding on me. I tap the handle with my mallet to make it stick. (Eventually, I'll stretch the bolt and have to replace it I reckon.) There's some guy over on the IAP forum that makes those in a square section (rather than the "slippy" round ones) I think.

And.... what else? There was something else I was thinking, now what was it?:confused:

Oh yeah. You can make the gradations on the tailstock ram yourself with a little careful measuring and file or chisel work. That's something I should do actually....

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I have the oneway livecenter and love it. Yes it is pricey but well worth it. As far as the tailstock I think what you got is what you got.

Jim if your tailstock is moving on you I went to the oneway site and found their square clamp blocks. It has cured my banjo and tailstock from moving. I got them for both the tailstock and banjo on my Rikon and my Nova DVR XP. Here is where I found them and I think both CSUSA & Packard Woodworks carries them. I haven't had to use a mallet since.

http://www.oneway.ca/coring/clamp_block.htm

Joshua Dinerstein
09-26-2008, 2:55 PM
The Oneway system seems like the measuring stick for live centers. I've ogled that one more than once.
Jim, when I was out looking for one this last month to repair my older lathe I found that Osolnik had some pretty good ones on sale on his site for $59 with free shipping:

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/6295902-livecenterassemblyformodels3520and4224lathesandany lathewithmt2tailstockspecialpricingwhilesuppliesla st.aspx

It was a copy IIRC of the Oneway, missing the huge bullnose cone, but substantially less money. In the end I bought something else from an online source but it was a close call. :)

Wait I guess actually this is what I bought as I think it is what comes with my new lathe. ;)

Joshua