PDA

View Full Version : I have seen it all...........

Dave Lehnert
09-25-2008, 9:13 PM
A laser guided hand saw. Yes! It's real. Available on Sears web site.
(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987902000P?keyword=009-87902&sLevel=0)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987902000P?keyword=009-87902&sLevel=0

Bill Moser
09-25-2008, 9:19 PM
Awesome! I have no idea how that could help anyone to saw more accurately, but maybe I'm missing something. Personally, I'm holding out for a laser-guided chipmunk.

Dave Lehnert
09-25-2008, 9:22 PM
Another link (video)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kxAqur7SKoQ

Gary Herrmann
09-25-2008, 9:33 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later. Just wait. Someone's going to retrofit an 80 yr old Disston...

Bill Moser
09-25-2008, 9:46 PM
I watched the vid, and I'm not impressed. Crosscutting to a line takes a decent saw, some practice, and that old standby: actually paying attention to what you're doing. S&J should spend some time on their saws, for a change.

Doug Shepard
09-25-2008, 9:48 PM
Awesome! Now I can combine woodworking with play for my cat. She goes bonkers chasing the beam from a laser pointer so now we can both get something from shop time. Just gotta keep her tail out from under the saw blade:eek:

David DeCristoforo
09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
"I have seen it all..........."

One might be tempted to think so but I'm afraid we ain't seen nothin' yet. But anyway, just think how much we are going to save on pencils....

What that saw really needs is some sort of trigger that causes the laser to burn the line into the wood so it doesn't move around when the saw moves.... the "Laser Guide Precision Line Zapper" or something.

Brian Kent
09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
What I really need is a laser guided hammer, so I can check firs if I'm headed to my thumb or the nail. Half way down I can check again to make sure.

How about Laser guided Elmers glue? Or wide-laser guided gorilla glue that shows the foam and drip patterns in advance?

glenn bradley
09-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Awesome! I have no idea how that could help anyone to saw more accurately, but maybe I'm missing something. Personally, I'm holding out for a laser-guided chipmunk.

I developed a laser guided toothbrush. I now have no tonsils and use it to shoot down laser guided chipmunks :D

Scott Kilroy
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
This will go great with my laser guided clamps :)

Ed Gerken
09-25-2008, 11:27 PM
I already have a laser-guided pencil, what more does one need?
-Ed

Joel Moskowitz
09-26-2008, 12:56 AM
I already have a laser-guided pencil, what more does one need?
-Ed

A laser guided laser. That way you can make sure your laser is pointed correctly.

Bill White
09-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I put that right up there with the B & D battery powered tape measure someone gave me one Christmas. DUH!!!!!
Bill

alex grams
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
I remember the battery powered tape measures, that was a new level of lazy and stupid combined into a single product (IMO).

hmm, we should have a list of useless woodworking inventions.

I think the magnetic bracelet for holding nails/screws is pretty silly.

Robert Rozaieski
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Not a woodworking tool but how about the battery powered adjustable wrench (another brilliant idea from the folks at B&D)?

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/1/AAW100_4.jpg

Tony Bilello
09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Just think about it for a minute. Picture yourself as a newbe to woodworking and have no mentor. With a lazer guided blade, you can see how off target you are getting and see exactly what you are doing. What would a teacher/mentor do? Tell you "a little to the left or a little to the right". Remember when you were learning....do I cut the line or do I cut next to the line?
This can turn out to be a really useful self learning tool or it can turn out to be a dud. Only time will tell. I dont see any difference between this and a lazer guided drill press. I used the lazer light for a few times and then I found it was easier for me to NOT use it and not have to keep realigning it. But initially, it did make it easier to build my jigs until I got used to the drill press. Some people have a hand and eye coordination problem, this would definateiy be a help.

Tony B

David Keller NC
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
An addendum in the "stupid tool" department - I was given a battery powered tape measure with a voice recorder in it. The idea was that you could speak the measurement and reproduce it at your table saw without having to remember it.

I re-gifted it a while back - it was an embarrassment to have around the shop...

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Spear & Jackson~?????

Yah sure. I guess this is the fad in deceptive marketing: Buy a company name with a great old reputation and ruin it.

Yup I'll rush right out and get one and some Irwin tools to boot.

Tim Sgrazzutti
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Now what I really need, are some laser guided chisels, so I'll know if I'm going to pare beyond my baseline.

Chuck Nickerson
09-26-2008, 1:20 PM
Poor Rob Lee. Tools like this make his April's Fool jokes so much more difficult.

glenn bradley
09-26-2008, 1:41 PM
A laser guided laser. That way you can make sure your laser is pointed correctly.

Bwaaa-Haaa-Haaa . . . that one got me ;-)

Eric Larsen
09-26-2008, 2:08 PM
Bah.... a simple LASER in a saw? How 20th century. Easy will working wood be, when a lightsaber you acquire for your shop:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lightsaber-11.jpg

However, after using it for a few weeks, I've learned that the lightsaber is NOT for every application. I do not recommend using a lightsaber on cherry -- it burns too quickly. You need a REALLY light stroke with cherry. I'd rather just pull out the laser guided saw in that case.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber3.htm

Dave Anderson NH
09-26-2008, 3:40 PM
In some cases these "tools" are made for the gadget freak who has to have the latest hi tech everything. Ole PT Barnum had it right, there's one born every day. I also like to cynically paraphrase ole Abe Lincoln, "you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time........and that's usually sufficient."

Jeff Wittrock
09-26-2008, 5:19 PM
How about a hand saw version of the "SawStop".

As soon as the teeth even touch your skin maybe some kind of explosive bolt separates the blade from the handle so you can't push the saw any farther.

You never know... It might save your fingers... Really... But, then again, I guess you still have to go to the emergency room to have the powder burns on your hand treated. You know... from the explosive bolts.

Anyhow, I guess I would rather have powder burns than loose any of my digits. The powder burns are merely a flesh wound.

-Jeff