PDA

View Full Version : Roland Stika SV-15

Luke Lockridge
09-25-2008, 8:54 PM
Hey guys. I am new to the forum and about a year into working with vinyl. I started out with a Copam 24" that I got off Ebay and it pooped out on me. I bought the 15" Stika and love it. I have a MacBook and want to run the Roland off of it, but I do not have the funds to buy Adobe Illustrator that is necessary to run the machine off the Mac. I was wondering if anybody knows of any other programs that I could get for my Mac that would allow me to install the software and be able to cut my vinyl. Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
09-26-2008, 8:52 AM
It seems that if there were such a thing that Roland would promote it, since it would open up new sales opportunities. The problem is that since the Stika
is limited to small cut sheet material it's unlike the more common production plotters that do unlimited length rolls. You might look for the answer on some Mac forums. Doesn't the MacBook run windows?

Luke Lockridge
09-26-2008, 9:09 AM
It seems that if there were such a thing that Roland would promote it, since it would open up new sales opportunities. The problem is that since the Stika
is limited to small cut sheet material it's unlike the more common production plotters that do unlimited length rolls. You might look for the answer on some Mac forums. Doesn't the MacBook run windows?

It does run Windows, but you have to change things around on the hd. Plus just about every virus is windows based and I don't want to deal with viruses anymore, which is one of the reasons that I bought my Mac. One of the reasons that I got the Stika is because it said that it was compatible with Mac, but the website did not say that I needed AI to be able to cut. I think that I can get CorelDraw, but I have not looked into it yet. Any info on that?

Joe Pelonio
09-26-2008, 9:23 AM
I think the Stika comes with a driver for Corel but again, it's windows based.

Corel last released a graphics suite for Mac in version 11, since then versions 12, X3 and X4 have not been available for Mac. If you managed to find v11 for Mac you'd be risking the cost, not knowing whether it worked or not.

See pm sent.

Doug Bergstrom
09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Being a mac user, good luck running your plotter from the mac. I have heard of some work around but nothing that is production oriented. Your best bet is to get Co Cut Pro and run it under windows on your mac. Unless you connect to the internet through the PC you will not have any virus issues.

Luke Lockridge
09-26-2008, 1:27 PM
I have a wireless network set up at home, so I am connected to the internet all the time. I will look into that program. Thanks for info!!