PDA

View Full Version : What do you have on your workbench shelves?

Randy Klein
09-25-2008, 8:01 PM
I'm trying to decide what I should store on the shelving of my workbench and wanted to see what everyone else does.

Do you put often used tools (i.e. bench planes, saws, etc.) or workbench appliances (like shooting boards) or something else?

Are there pros and cons to storing tools there? I'd imagine it would be a handy place to put them, but they would get dusty (well more like shavy if that's a word).

glenn bradley
09-25-2008, 9:06 PM
I have a small set of drawers for things I like to keep handy. The rest is empty as I set things down there as I am working. Otherwise they're on the top where I am trying to work.

Tony Sade
09-25-2008, 9:17 PM
Most used chisels and planes in the drawers (most of the rest in and on top of a hanging tool cabinet) shooting boards, holdfasts, bench dogs on top of the drawer unit. No dust in the drawers (unless I leave them open while working).

HTH,

Tony

Judy Kingery
09-25-2008, 9:50 PM
Randy,

Good question - most of our shelves we use for storage space of supplies (screws/paint/poly/sandpaper) and wood blanks. Pretty much arranged on shelves around the shop in groups - one area for paints, one area for electrical stuff, etc.

Tools are all on peg boards or wall racks (chisels I use fishing rod holders against the wall) so they're within easy reach.

Our wood blank shelves Glen built from floor to almost ceiling so again handy.

The really higher up shelves (require a step) we store stuff we use maybe once a year, trowels, joint compound or stuff like that. Then course bench top for current work.

Bet you'll find a system you like to use.

Jude