PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a work bench

Randy Klein
09-25-2008, 7:57 PM
I'm about ready to put the finish (Danish oil) on my Roubo-ish workbench.

Is it necessary to apply it to every surface (like the undersides of the shelves and top) or just the wear surfaces (legs, top, top of shelves, etc.)?

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 8:23 PM
I only oil the visible areas of my bench and use simple BLO.

glenn bradley
09-25-2008, 9:04 PM
I did all surfaces prior to assembly with BLO. Now I just re-do the top (so far).

Bill Moser
09-25-2008, 9:15 PM
(non boiled) linseed oil and wax for the frame, nothing for the underside of the top, and BLO for the top and sides when I true it up.

Peter Tremblay
09-26-2008, 6:55 PM
I used Teak oil on all the surfaces before final assembly. Now I will just coat what needs it when it needs it.

Peter

Ken Garlock
09-26-2008, 7:30 PM
Hi Randy. I just finished my bench about the first of September. I used BLO throughout. After the base assembly was finished, it got two coasts of BLO. The top had a finish from the manufacturer, and to that I added another coat of BLO. The aprons got a coat before installation, and another when in place.

I would do it the same way again.:)

Alex Shanku
09-28-2008, 5:17 PM
50% BLO / 50% Thinner

Stephen Shepherd
09-28-2008, 6:50 PM
How much extra would it cost to give every exposed (to the air) on your workbench a coat or two of oil, not more than a couple of dollars.

I like mixing Boiled linseed oil with turpentine, thin for the first coats and thicker for later coats.

Stephen

Randy Klein
09-28-2008, 8:51 PM
How much extra would it cost to give every exposed (to the air) on your workbench a coat or two of oil, not more than a couple of dollars.

I like mixing Boiled linseed oil with turpentine, thin for the first coats and thicker for later coats.

Stephen

It's not about cost. I just didn't want to crawl around on the ground if I didn't have to.

So I already put 2 coats of Danish oil on every surface I could touch without too much trouble.

Brian Kent
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Somewhere I read that using the same finish on top and bottom of the workbench helped to keep moisture changes even and help reduce warping.

John Sanford
09-29-2008, 1:24 PM
I would strongly suggest doing the all surfaces of the workbench top, i.e. top, underside, edges, INCLUDING the interior of the dog holes. As for the base and such, you actually know the answer :eek:, you just don't like it. ;)

Go ahead, do it. You'll only ever have to do it once. Put the darn thing up on jacks if you need to to get under it easily.