PDA

View Full Version : Steins

Tim Baude
09-25-2008, 7:23 PM
I have had a request to do some steins for a local University for homecoming. I do not have a rotary attachment. Is there a source of steins with laser engravable plaques or does anyone have an idea on the best way to accomplish this. Thank you in advance for any help and input.

Robert Alexander
09-25-2008, 9:46 PM
I just did some glass mugs for a management seminar. I do not have a rotary attachment for my Helix. But with the large diameter of the mugs. Which was 3 1/2 inches I was able to put on a 1 1/2 inch wide logo. And they turned out great.

Tim Baude
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Robert,
Do you have any pictures? Where did you get the mugs?

Robert Alexander
09-26-2008, 7:45 PM
Sorry, I do not have any photos. It was a quick hurry job. They also supplied the glass mugs. But they were the cheap type from Mexico. They were 3 1/2 inches in diameter, with no flat spots just round.

Bill Cunningham
09-27-2008, 8:50 PM
This was done without a rotary attachment.. You just have to be careful of the quality of stein.. Some cast glass has a lot of hard spots, and the engraving 'can' flake at the edges if the angle gets too steep.. This is a standard 15oz Libby mug

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52949&d=1166561658

John Frazee
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I use steins from Walmart that run around $4 each. I have done some without the rotary if it's going to be a small area. I say go to Walmart, get one and experiment. I have a lady that brings in 5 at the time for me to laser a few words on and I charge her $10.00 each. The perceived value is nice on these.

Kerry Smith II
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
The Dollar Tree has those Libby Steins, Made in the US, for $1.

Stephen Beckham
09-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Check to see if you have a Pottery Barn close by as well, they are out and about in the mid east region - they carry a lot of $1 glassware. Check their web site for availablility in your area.

Brian Robison
09-29-2008, 2:37 PM
Tim,
manual focus about mid way between the highest point and the lowest for your artwork on the glass. Use more power than the recommendation for glass to compensate for the beam going out if focus.

Bill Cunningham
09-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Virtually all of the dollar store steins are only 12 oz.. They 'look' like steins, but don't hold much.. even a 12oz can or bottle results in a meniscus beer curve on the top :D

Tim Baude
10-08-2008, 6:40 PM
Thank you to all.....Just found some nice 24 oz steins at Dollar Tree. Heading out to the shop in few minutes to try. I will let you know how they turned out.
Thanks
Tim

martin g. boekers
10-08-2008, 7:26 PM
On the mugs, some of my clients like the ones with squared panels on the bottom half. (I just engrave on the round upper half) After some thought using a larger size hose clamp on that squared edge allowed it to turn in the rotary device, you just have to position the screw portion so it doesn't hit the wheels on the rotary.

Marty

Tim Baude
10-09-2008, 7:04 PM
Just to let you know...the steins came out great... and recieved an order of 60 and hopefully more. The group buying has said they would let other groups know that might be the same ones. I am charging $15 for 1 side and $20 for 2 sided with name. As I said, these are nice and 25 oz and heavy duty. I have bought 100 and hoping to buy more.
Thank you for all your help.
Tim

martin g. boekers
10-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Tim, did you use your rotary to get the reverse side?
I sometimes have slipping when the the handle reaches the halfway point on the reverse side. Any tips?

Marty

Lonny Meeks
10-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Crazy question from a newbie. Since you are not using a rotary attachment, have you developed a jig to hold the mugs?

martin g. boekers
10-12-2008, 1:15 PM
Crazy questions are only the ones not asked!

The handle on the stein hits the I-bar when it would reach the top, so it won't do a 360 like a wine glass.

What I have been doing the is to turn the stein around an engrave on now what would be the reverse side. I have to adjust my layout for front or back, that's not a big deal.

What happens though on the larger steins, since it is not sitting in the rotary in reverse I can't use the clamp to keep pressure on it. That is now where the bootom of the mug is, the open side on an Epilog rotary is freewheeling.
Now only the mug's weight holds it in position. After it reaches about halfway through the burn the handle's weight leverages itself and causes slipage.
I've tried using double edged tape on the bottom edge for the reverse burn but sometimes it still slips a bit.

Is there an easy way to reverse direction of the motor for the second burn?

Marty

martin g. boekers
10-12-2008, 1:21 PM
I haven't had that type of luck with staying in focus enough to burn on the mugs consistantly with out a rotary. I can lose focus and quality even if the mug is not exactly level. Glass isn't very forgiving,

Marty

Pete Thomas(UK)
10-12-2008, 6:10 PM
I have found that the glasses direct from the manufacturer will slip when I set them up in the rotary without the hold down wheel. They just will not grip the drive wheels. The solution I found was simply to clean thoroughly the O rings,bands on the rotary attachment but most of all really clean the glasswhere it contacts the drive pulleys. You could always counterbalance the weight of the handle by attaching a weight opposite the handle.

Tim Baude
10-15-2008, 11:52 PM
I have not developed a jig, but would love one...anyone out there have a suggestion? I am struggling to center side to side on the curve of the stein.
Tim

Dave Johnson29
10-17-2008, 3:33 PM
I have not developed a jig, but would love one...anyone out there have a suggestion?

Hi Tim,

Yesterday (16/10/08) I actually posted some pics of jigs I made for a friend's laser projects about 8 years back. It was deemed a little too commercial and removed.

I am retired and have some CNC metal working machines. It has been a hobby for the past 20 years or more. I only found this forum after rebuilding an old and dead laser.

Maybe PM or email me and give me an idea of what you need. I am not sure how much more I can say here as I do not want to run foul of the Moderator again.