PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Gun and Disposable Cups

Joe Jensen
09-25-2008, 6:00 PM
I have been spraying for years with a conventional gun and a 2qt pressure pot. I recently switched to a CA Technologies HVLP gun and the pressure cup. I like the pressure cup system for regular finishes, but for small jobs, or jobs where I am using a catalyzed finish, I'd like a gravity feed cup with disposable filters.

My first inclination is to get a CA Technologies gravity gun (same as my pressure gun) but it's $390. How much lower performance would a basic gun like a Harbor Freight be compared to top line stuff?

thanks...joe

Steve Schoene
09-25-2008, 8:16 PM
Have you explored the 3-m system of disposable containers. Some are adapted for pressure feed systems I believe, allowing you to use your really good gun more broadly.

Joe Jensen
09-25-2008, 8:23 PM
Have you explored the 3-m system of disposable containers. Some are adapted for pressure feed systems I believe, allowing you to use your really good gun more broadly.

I saw the 3M cups, but only the ones for gravity feed. I'll take a closer look. What I want to avoid is having the 3oz or so from the fluid line between the pressure pot and the gun. I have an $80 qt of catalyzed auto paint to spray. Need to do 4 coats and with the catalyst I can't mix all at once. thanks...joe

Matthew Voss
09-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Joe-

I've not used the HF gun but I would think you could get an inexpensive gun of much better quality, especially for auto work.

For gravity feed, I would check out the Astro line, or a DeVilbiss Finishline III is @ $100:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/FinishlineIIISpecials13.htm

Joe Jensen
09-26-2008, 3:43 PM
I ended up buying the CA Technologies gravity fed version of my existing gun. I know it well and Homestead Finishing strongly recommended it over the Asturo if you have a large compressor. Tip for anyone reading the thread. Make sure you are using a need and tip size appropriate for the finish you want to spray. 1.3 for dye and auto paint. 1.4 for solvent based lacquer, and 1.7 for water based top coat and heavier materials.