PDA

View Full Version : Are Stabila levels the best?

Matt Ocel
09-25-2008, 5:28 PM
My 6 footer was mis-handled on the job site and I need a new one.

I have been very pleased with Stabila, but just wondering if there is something better out there.

I was also entertaining the idea of investing in the 6' to 10' Stabila plate level, anybody have +/- feedback to share?

William OConnell
09-25-2008, 7:33 PM
I have a couple of Stabilla levels 4', 24", and a small 12". Are they the best? who knows. I used 2 of them today they are definately nice. I think a 6' plate level is nice to have if your doing siding etc. but a 10' level? nah to big and cumbersome to be hauling around for me.

Ben Grunow
09-25-2008, 9:04 PM
I have owned the plate level (telescopic) for a year and a half or so and it is great. We use it on the job every day.

No more holding a "straight" stud next to a long level to plumb up layout lines.

Per Swenson
09-26-2008, 4:34 AM
Yes.

Per

Extra words post to short

Matt Ocel
09-26-2008, 8:00 AM
Thanks for your input guys.
I'll be re-investing in Stabila today.

Greg Cole
09-26-2008, 8:22 AM
+1 more for Stabilia. We use them on the day job, short of a machinist level or an optical level, they're very accurate.

Greg

John Thompson
09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
The Stabila are fantastic.. with that said a cheaper alternative is the Empire which is also a fine level IMO...

Sarge..

Mark Schrier
09-27-2008, 9:52 AM
Matt,

I have always used Master levels.

I like the bubble because it nearly fills the space between the lines. The bubble in the Stabila is smaller and leaves more open to interpretation.

I enjoy the ability to adjust the level.

I like the square edges on the Master. They make it easier to verify alignment across several points, such as whether the tops of several cabinets are all even. The edges of the Stabila has much rounder edges.

These are my personal observations. I know that others swear by Stabila, but this justs works for me.

Mark

Mark Rios
09-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Matt,

I have always used Master levels.

I like the bubble because it nearly fills the space between the lines. The bubble in the Stabila is smaller and leaves more open to interpretation.

I enjoy the ability to adjust the level.

I like the square edges on the Master. They make it easier to verify alignment across several points, such as whether the tops of several cabinets are all even. The edges of the Stabila has much rounder edges.

These are my personal observations. I know that others swear by Stabila, but this justs works for me.

Mark

Ditto across the board, especially the ease of adjustment. Nothing against Stablia. Just really like my Masters.

I have a 28", 4', 6', 78", and an 8'. If I'm plumbing walls that are taller than 8', not very often, I tape my 8' to a very straight 2 x 4.

guy knight
09-27-2008, 1:31 PM
yes they are

John Callahan
09-28-2008, 7:28 PM
Are Stabila levels the best?

imho Yes. Some years while siding a barn ago my four footer took a 30' fall to the ground .......... went down and got it, checked it- no harm done. Made a believer out of me. Their magnetic Jamber set has made setting doors much easier. Top notch in my book.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-29-2008, 2:06 AM
My 6 footer was mis-handled on the job site and I need a new one.

I have been very pleased with Stabila, but just wondering if there is something better out there.

I was also entertaining the idea of investing in the 6' to 10' Stabila plate level, anybody have +/- feedback to share?

I'm partial to Davis personally, but usually have to settle for Stabila. Very functional, but nearly as asthetically pleasing....:D