PDA

View Full Version : monogram

James Rambo
09-25-2008, 5:17 PM
I need some help on the making of a monogram. I have a customer that makes very nice wood boxes and his client wants a monogram within a circle. Is there a way in CorelDraw12 to put the letters within a circle and follow the circle shape?
THANKS, Jaime

Ross Lowry
09-25-2008, 5:27 PM
The wrap around text is called Fit Text to Path, and it is located under your text heading on the top tool bar of your corel screen.

1 - draw a cirle, curve or line the size you want the text to be.
2- use text tool and add your text. Anywhere on the page.
3- use pick tool and highlight the text.
4- go up to the text heading and click on Fit Text to Path
5- big black arrow on screen, point to the curve you made and click.
6- Text is now curved around the curve
7- use pick tool and highlight the curve (not the text). Hit delete.
Text should be left in a curve. No line under it.....

James Rambo
09-25-2008, 5:52 PM
I guess I worded this problem wrongly. I need the outside of the letters to be the shape of the inside of the circle. Here is an example i scanned.

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 6:03 PM
James

That is an old engravers font called the circle monogram. I believe you can buy it at least one of the font sites.

This one should work. There is no way to do it in Corel short of drawing each letter.

http://www.haroldsfonts.com/monogram-collection.html

Ruben Salcedo
09-25-2008, 6:08 PM
It can be done with the monogram fonts by Harold Fonts, check here http://www.fontbros.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HAFO-CIMO

Ruben

James Rambo
09-25-2008, 6:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping it was a quick possibility in Corel. This is a one time thing, and the first time I have been asked for it. Maybe the next time I am asked I will be able to justify the cost to purchase the fonts.

Ruben Salcedo
09-25-2008, 6:17 PM
Mike,
I probably was typing my reply when you submit your post, now there is a duplicate :)

Ruben

Ruben Salcedo
09-25-2008, 6:26 PM
James,
send me your initials, I may be able to help you.

Ruben

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 8:04 PM
Ruben

You know what they say about great minds.

Did you ever buy that pantograph?

James, send them to me as well. I may be able to help.

Ruben Salcedo
09-25-2008, 8:21 PM
Mike,
you are referring at Franks Pantograph? if you are, no I did not buy it since what makes me more interest in having one is the cylindrical attachment and the one from Frank does not have one. Thank you any way for the referral.

Ruben

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
James

Try these.

Ruben

Yes, I thought Frank might have a nice one. Didn't realize it didn't have all the goodies.

James Rambo
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Mike,
I will show it to him and see if they like it. Did you you corel or another I guess I really should get something to make it easier.

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
James

This was done in my rotary engraving program and exported to Corel as an eps file.

It is not a Truetype font.

If you think you're going to be doing monograms Harold's is the answer.

Jackie McGowan
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi,
Another thought is to use the envelope tool on your Letters.

Ruben Salcedo
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
James,
sorry I didn't respond earlier, here is my version is very similar at Mike's the only difference is the outer ring.

Ruben

Darren Null
02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Does anyone have the font? I'm trying to make a monogram, and I'm damned if I can work out how to do the initial 'L' for a 'LiM' monogram. Thanks.

Dave Johnson29
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have the font? I'm trying to make a monogram, and I'm damned if I can work out how to do the initial 'L' for a 'LiM' monogram. Thanks.

Hi Darren,

I don't have the font but Jackie's suggestion (9/25/08) for the Interactive Envelope tool might work. Here is a 3 minute effort. It still needs tweaking.

Ruben Salcedo
02-08-2009, 2:18 PM
Darren,
since I don't know which font you are referring about I can not tell you exactly how to make the "L", but if is the same font I'm using then you just enter the lower case "l",
any ways here is a monogram, I hope is what you need

Ruben

James Rambo
02-08-2009, 4:16 PM
will one of these work

Mike Null
02-08-2009, 5:48 PM
Here is a slightly different version.

Darren Null
02-08-2009, 7:20 PM
Thanks Dave, Ruben, James and Mike. You all cracked how to start off with an L; which was more than I did; and that'll be handy if I ever have to do this again. Alas, the company is named such that it's quite important for the 'L' and the 'M' to dwarf the 'i' in the middle. After wasting more hours than was justified (it got personal), I've come to the conclusion that it's not really possible to get the look I want if it starts with `L`. Ah well. I couldn't open your go James, because I don't have the font.

Along the way, I did invent a grid to assist in making monograms, after a fashion; with which I managed to get close, but not close enough. It may help anyone who -like me- is too tight to shell out for the font. You have a 5x5 grid to assist you in laying out letters. I've uploaded the grid, and my own feeble attempt, for use and comparison respectively.

James Rambo
02-08-2009, 9:23 PM
I broke it apart converted it to curves and grouped it.

Darren Null
02-08-2009, 9:57 PM
Thanks James.