PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection in a Bosch 1617 router

Dan Mitchell
09-25-2008, 3:06 PM
I recently got a Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge router system, picked it mostly because it ranked well in a recent FWW combo router test, & because it was available for $219 at Lowes. Seems like a good tool, a bit more precisely executed than my older Hitachi M12V, (a monster which will now reside "for ever" in my newly-built router table) but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the various dust collection attachments for the 1617. There appear to be several options:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1172AT-Router-Dust-Extraction/dp/B00005RHPR/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_1

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1173-Dust-Extraction-Kit/dp/B00005RHPN/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0

And also the edge guide (which I plan to buy) comes with some form of dust extraction:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1054-Deluxe-Extraction-Adapter/dp/B00005RHPP/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005RHPN&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MAEF3FWG86QE8X25BJ7

If any owners of this router have thoughts on effective dust collection, I'd like to hear them.

TIA

Dan

Anthony Whitesell
09-25-2008, 3:09 PM
Rockler also sells a dust extraction port. It attaches via the Porter-Cable guide bushing hole and limits the bit diameter to around 1".

I have the same kit and haven't used the dust extraction yet. My fear would be the hose interrupting the cut or getting in the way. I wear and long apron and use a broom.

Prashun Patel
09-25-2008, 3:27 PM
I agree with Anthony. When plunge or edge routing, the hose tends to get in the way for me. I only use a hose on the table.

Bill Huber
09-25-2008, 3:37 PM
I have that router and the DC attachments and I tried them and they were more trouble then they were worth.
The hose is on the way and it makes the blance off on the router so you really have to work at keeping it on track.

I think I have all of them and if you really want them let me know and they are yours, I used them once and that is it.

Dan Mitchell
09-25-2008, 4:00 PM
I think I have all of them and if you really want them let me know and they are yours, I used them once and that is it.

Bill - If you're serious, I would be very interested in the attachments, let me know what you're thinking.

I agree about the hose being cumbersome; unfortunately I have some breathing problems which force me to do whatever I can to eliminate dust in the air. I have a 1 micron DC & a JDS air filter, but I try to capture as much crud as I can at the source.

Thanks for the replies.

Dan

Chris Friesen
09-25-2008, 4:26 PM
I do most edging on a router table with extraction in the fence. This does a great job of dust collection when used with a beefy shopvac.

I used the RA1173 when doing mortises. Worked great to clear the chips from the mortise, but does interfere somewhat with sight lines, especially once it gets dusty. Not a big problem when used with stop blocks on a jig.

I use a 2 1/2" hose, and I found the best bet was to add a hose extension (to get more length to play with, and it's more flexible than the stock hose) and drape it over my shoulder. That way the hose pulls on my body rather than the router.

Dan Mitchell
09-25-2008, 4:35 PM
Chris - Thanks for the reply. I connect my router table up to the DC, which does an amazing job of sucking up the chips. To the router itself, I'd probably try to rig up a smaller/more flexible hose either from the 2.5" shop vac or the DC.

I've tried the over-the-shoulder trick with the router cord. I can never keep it from falling off every 30 seconds or so!

Dan

glenn bradley
09-25-2008, 4:48 PM
Bill - If you're serious, I would be very interested in the attachments, let me know what you're thinking.

I agree about the hose being cumbersome; unfortunately I have some breathing problems which force me to do whatever I can to eliminate dust in the air. I have a 1 micron DC & a JDS air filter, but I try to capture as much crud as I can at the source.

Thanks for the replies.

Dan

A good resperator on your face will do better than your router hose. I join the "tried it, big pain" chorus on capturing at a hand held router. I wear a mask, route and leave while my ambient cleaner tidy's up. Now at the router table and anywhere reasonably possible, I try to catch it all.

Bill Huber
09-25-2008, 5:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Dan

I just sent you a PM.

Thomas Pender
09-25-2008, 6:32 PM
I have two 1617s and I love them, except when dust gets in the switch and I have to blow it out - have one on a router table full time. I have all of their dust collection accessories as well. That being said, IMHO, dust collection for them is not the best.:D I use my Festool CT22 to suck out chips and it kind of works, but most of the time I use my main dust collector in conjunction with a hood and one of those neat hose holders Rockler sells to help. I also use a respirator, a wise suggestion that seems to be the consensus.

I agree the cord and the hose are a PIA, but what are you gonna do??

Peter Quinn
09-25-2008, 8:43 PM
I have them and they are not useless, but they are not perfect either. They work better for some operations than others. I hung a $3 screw hook from the joists in my shop, looped the DC hose from my PC vac through that to hold its weight, end of that problem. If you have one of those chunky 2 1/4" wet dry vac hoses with an adapter, forget it. Too much weight on the tool base.

If you need great dust collection, I'd look at Festool. The bosch attachments are worth the price to me. I could see a big hood like the type for lathes or miter saws possibly capturing some dust if you are able to stage your work so the chips fly the correct direction?

Michael Pauly
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I use the second dust hood on the plunge base hooked up to my shop vac all the time and think it does a very good job of collecting the dust/chips unless you are edge routing, then it probably gets about half the dust. For most edge routing tasks, I use the table as much as possible anyway.

As others have said, the the hose can be a pain, but get yourself a longer, higher quality, more flexible hose and should be able to position it over your shoulder or hang from above on a hook (nice tip) more easily.

Curt Harms
09-26-2008, 3:06 AM
There is a significant difference between the hoses that come with the Fein Vacs and the Ridgid/Sears/Shop Vac machines. The Fein is smaller diameter, 12+ feet long and much more flexible. The flexibility is welcome in applications like sanders and routers. There may be good aftermarket hose choices, I never had the need to research them.

David Romano
09-26-2008, 7:22 AM
I have my DC hose hanging from the ceiling as well, right above the bench where I use the router. It's a 1.5" diameter pool hose which leads to my Dust Deputy. The hose could be a little lighter, but it is WAY better than running it along the floor. The cord is not much of a bother, but if I need to I can hang than from the ceiling too.

I find the biggest PIA with router DC is first, getting it out and setting it up, and second, not being able to see through it to line up the cut.