PDA

View Full Version : when do new tools come out?

jason lambert
09-25-2008, 2:07 PM
I was looking for a joiner plainer but pretty much decide unless I went up to the mini max the rest have there issues. I would also perfer a sprial head which none have. So I am back to just a joiner. I would like a 8" or bigger joiner that take little gurage space, with a sprial head.

The trouble is no one seems to make it. I assume someone will soon so my question is when do the manfactures typically come out with new tools? What time of year.

John Hedges
09-25-2008, 2:42 PM
I was looking for a joiner plainer but pretty much decide unless I went up to the mini max the rest have there issues.

Pretty much a truism in the tool world. The more you pay the better the tool gets.

As far as releasing new tools, they usually display their new product lines at IWF which just happened, but they can release new tools anytime they see it as profitable to do so.

Mike Heidrick
09-25-2008, 2:54 PM
The 12" Jet combo jointer/planer has had good reviews so far. Same with Grizzly. those are both out.

If you want a good jointer why not look at the G0490X. How small do you want it to be?

Whatever you go with, make some phone calls to dealers and even the manufacturers. They will get you the info you need.

Seems like there were some indexable cutter heads on some Steel City jointers as well at IWF. Call Scott there or seek out John Thompson on this board and maybe he can help you.

Curt Harms
09-25-2008, 4:55 PM
I was looking for a joiner plainer but pretty much decide unless I went up to the mini max the rest have there issues. I would also perfer a sprial head which none have. So I am back to just a joiner. I would like a 8" or bigger joiner that take little gurage space, with a sprial head.

The trouble is no one seems to make it. I assume someone will soon so my question is when do the manfactures typically come out with new tools? What time of year.

Grizzly has a J/P available with a carbide insert helical head. I haven't heard anything either good or bad about the Grizzly. The only "negative" I'm aware of is the need to remove the fence anytime you change from jointer to planer. I know of at least one SMC'er that bought a Hammer J/P with helical head. They're out there.

Curt

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-25-2008, 6:05 PM
I was looking for a joiner plainer but pretty much decide unless I went up to the mini max the rest have there issues.

Have you taken the Hammer for a spin?
I have their 12" and like it a lot.