PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Goblet **PICS**

Ken Salisbury
05-14-2004, 6:11 AM
Managed to turn a cherry goblet yesterday. Hopefully this weekend I can get a good finish on it.

John Miliunas
05-14-2004, 8:33 AM
Ooooo...Oooooo! Can't wait to see it with some finish on it! :D Some type of oil, I presume? Lookin' good, Ken! :cool:

Fred LeBail
05-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Looks good Ken. Did you turn the cup first or did you turn the stem first.As a turner of only a few (16) bowls I can use all the info I can get.
Thanks
Fred

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 1:24 PM
Wait, wait, wait! You took a perfectly square block of American Cherry and made something ROUND from it?? :confused: :eek: Now I hafta go outside and see if cats and dogs are living together or that anarchy is rampant! :rolleyes: :p

Kurt Aebi
05-14-2004, 2:19 PM
Ken,

I am with Fred on this one, could you describe a little about the steps involved in one of these goblets, for us newbies so we may learn from your experience. As Tyler refers to you "The Spin Doctor", maybe you can also be "The Spin Professor" as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert Ducharme
05-14-2004, 2:59 PM
Chris,

It all started back in the 14 hundreds when that lunatic Christopher Columbus (you aren't named after him are you :confused: ) said that the world was round. :mad: Ever since then, people have been going crazy trying to understand what he meant. :rolleyes: They "turn" (even the word is strange) things and pervert the natural order of life :( Next thing you know, they will be making round globes to respresent the world. And everyone knows those maps you get at the conoco dealer are all flat! :cool:

Maybe if we just ignore them they will bury themselves in sawdust :confused: ;)

Bob Hovde
05-14-2004, 3:16 PM
Chris,

It all started back in the 14 hundreds when that lunatic Christopher Columbus (you aren't named after him are you :confused: ) said that the world was round. :mad: Ever since then, people have been going crazy trying to understand what he meant. :rolleyes: They "turn" (even the word is strange) things and pervert the natural order of life :( Next thing you know, they will be making round globes to respresent the world. And everyone knows those maps you get at the conoco dealer are all flat! :cool:

Maybe if we just ignore them they will bury themselves in sawdust :confused: ;)

But - Ken was just releasing the wood from its unnatural flat form and returning it to its glorious round beginnings!

Bob

Ken Salisbury
05-15-2004, 5:43 AM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Yesterday 7:33 AM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 71466" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>John Miliunas</TD><TD class=alt2>Ooooo...Oooooo! Can't wait to see it with some finish on it! :D Some type of oil, I presume? Lookin' good, Ken! :cool:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Actually I will use several coats of Minwax Antique Oil and after about a week cure time I plan on putting a polyurethane finish on it so I can actually drink a little wine with it from time to time.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Yesterday 10:52 AM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 71529" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Fred LeBail</TD><TD class=alt2>Looks good Ken. Did you turn the cup first or did you turn the stem first.As a turner of only a few (16) bowls I can use all the info I can get.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Cup and base first - Stem last.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Yesterday 1:19 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 71565" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Kurt Aebi</TD><TD class=alt2>Ken,

I am with Fred on this one, could you describe a little about the steps involved in one of these goblets, for us newbies so we may learn from your experience. As Tyler refers to you "The Spin Doctor", maybe you can also be "The Spin Professor" as well.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rather than doing a long step by step write-up of the procedure I used, I plan on making a mate for it from the same log and will take step by step photos. Hopefully I can get around to it in a week or so. Stay tuned ! !

Matt Bridges
05-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Looks great Ken!!