PDA

View Full Version : Contour Cutting Tip

Joe Pelonio
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm doing a job with multi-colored logos printed on adhesive poly film, applied to 1/4" black acrylic that has to be cut out.

The shape is very irregular. I found that even using the same file for the printing and laser cutting, it's impossible to get aligned perfectly just with the registration marks. It's usually within 1/16" but that's not enough, so here's what I did:

1. Apply transfer tape

2. Run with the top open and red pinter on to see if it's close.

3. Run with settings speed 60, power 5, frequency 100 to leave a brown
dotted line that doesn't go through the transfer tape

4. Adjust the outlines in corel up/down left/right as needed, and repeat until perfect.

5. Cut at speed 8, power 100, freq 2500

The result is very nice, though you cannot see it too well here since my
camera has no macro so it's out of focus up so close. Does take time though, so that has to be reflected in the price.

Frank Corker
09-25-2008, 4:08 PM
It does look good Joe. Just on a point of your camera, it's easier to just to photograph normally and enlarge using your art package if your macro doesn't work. I tried to umph it up a bit for you.

Rodne Gold
09-25-2008, 4:24 PM
Joe , one of the problems we encounter with such stuff is that X and Y of the printer do not neccesarily correspond with laser , so you might need to apply a scaling factor to get em to match up , if there is a small discepancy , it's very difficult to register or get cutting right.
I print a circle top left and lower right , in a "scrap" area. I just run the test circles at low power and register off those , ie when they match up , it should all be good. I stuggled a lot when I was using a desktop printer to print and a laser to kiss cut.

Joe Pelonio
09-25-2008, 7:14 PM
It does look good Joe. Just on a point of your camera, it's easier to just to photograph normally and enlarge using your art package if your macro doesn't work. I tried to umph it up a bit for you.
Good idea, and thanks. Some day I'll get a better camera, they get better for less $ all the time.