PDA

View Full Version : covering skylight - OK?

Peter Pedisich
09-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I have a skylight in my kitchen (and another in the den) which goes up about 6' above the ceiling, and I worry that I'm loosing heat in these during the winter, even though the side walls are insulated in the attic.

At the ceiling level (8') the opening is 7' x 7' and it tapers as it goes up to a skylight about 3' square.

If I close this up at the ceiling level with a temporary (winter months) insulated panel, will it be a problem?

I worry about the temp swings in the enclosed space and it's effect on the skylight.

Thanks for any help,

Pete

Per Swenson
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey Peter,

You may have a condensation problem, if the area between the skylight
is cut of from ventilation. In the winter this would freeze overnight then
melt during the day and drip down the walls.

Per

Peter Pedisich
09-25-2008, 1:03 PM
Thanks Per.

It may be the best thing to do is close them up, and re-sheath/shingle the roof.

They are great in the Long Island summer, but awful in winter.

pete

Chris Padilla
09-26-2008, 2:33 PM
What kind of skylights are they? Are they pretty old? Single pane of glass?

I just installed some Velux skylights with all the latest trimmings: low-e glass, insulated, blinds, etc. It has made a WORLD of difference in our normally darkish living room.

How about replacing it with something modern?

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2008, 2:45 PM
You can also make a "loose" cover that will not completely seal up the skylight well allowing enough air movement to prevent the condensation that Per rightly suggests will occur but that will block most of the heat loss.

Matt Ocel
09-26-2008, 3:19 PM
If you live in a cold climate - Then, what Per said or your asking for problems.