PDA

View Full Version : "Play it forward..."

John Dykes
09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Reposted w/out permission from the w(rec) newsgroup....

Being raised in Kentucky, and knowing that unspoken bond, creed, mindset that seems to pass between woodworkers - and something evidenced here daily:

"Think I have one layin' around I can send ya."
"Come by I'll show ya."
"No, here, let me describe it again."
"I have two, you can have one."
"That looks great for your first try! Keep at it!"

This struck a chord. I'll only add the oft spoken, off-hand, yet profoundly meaningful...

"Good on ya, Lee Valley."

Subject: Another Lee Valley rave
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Reply-To: "Glen"

I guess I may be just "preaching to the choir," but I justed wanted to share
with you all just how reputable a company Lee Valley Tools is. As many of
you know, California is having some budget problems, and as usual, this
affects high school vocational programs greatly. In spite of this I have
been trying to expand my wood program to include more "Neanderthal" aspects.
My budget does not allow me the luxury of quality handtools. I wrote to Lee
Valley and explained the situation. Lee Valley asked me what we needed most
and promptly sent us about $500 worth of quality tools at no cost.

Companies can do this only when they make a reasonable profit, thus I ask
each of you to help me say thank you to Mr. Lee by helping his company make
an even better profit. Sacrifice by buying more great tools from him.
Explain to your wives that the new tool you are buying is a "moral
obligation." I'm sure she will understand.

In all seriousness, Mr. Lee, if you are reading this post, thank you from
the bottom of my heart for the generousness (is that a word?) of your
company.

Glen

Douglas Brummett
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Clardy
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Kudos to Mr. Lee :cool:

Mike Henderson
09-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Lee Valley has always been number one in my book. Thanks for sharing.

But just a suggestion - it would probably be good to remove your friend's e-mail address from the posting, unless he gave permission to have it posted. Too much opportunity for spam.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
09-25-2008, 1:04 PM
This is one of those times when doing the right thing, isn't only the right thing, but just good business sense.

Look at the positive exposure he is rightfully getting for it. Also think of the future customers he will get from the generations of kids who will get to use/experience his tools and the people they tell about them, including future generations.

It is a positive thing, but in this case also shrewd business sense.

Rob Lee
09-26-2008, 7:44 AM
This is one of those times when doing the right thing, isn't only the right thing, but just good business sense.

Look at the positive exposure he is rightfully getting for it. Also think of the future customers he will get from the generations of kids who will get to use/experience his tools and the people they tell about them, including future generations.

It is a positive thing, but in this case also shrewd business sense.

Hi Randal -

You're absolutely right, but also kinda wrong...

Our usual practice when making donations is to ask not to be identified. I personally (and I suppose, corporately) am not looking for this kind of exposure. The only charitable activity we publicize, are the funds we raise as a direct result of customer participation - calendar sales, name referrals, and seminar attendance to name a few. That's really a question of reporting back to you...

There's no difference in my eyes between someone who wants to make a donation but can't, and some who can make a donation and does, other than one gets "credit", and the other doesn't.

We send just as many (if not more) corporate donations to countries where we have no presence... generally in response to disasters, or direct requests to participate by the Red Cross. The only people we'll tell about some of those donations are our staff...as they're really a part of it too.

I'll gladly take all of the exposure for innovation, service, direct advertising etc. - but I've always viewed philanthropy as a private matter.

I do agree with what you're saying though, it is done by many firms as a standard business practice - I just don't like it personally.

Cheers -

Rob

Tony Zaffuto
09-26-2008, 8:51 AM
Well Rob,

As I see it, those of us down here in the 'states may all be in need of charitable contributions if our gov. doesn't get it's act together! I suppose I got enough customers north of Toronto that I can relocate. Maybe to the North Bay area!

Have a good one,

tony Z.