PDA

View Full Version : BCTW CT-15 Swiss Army Tool ?

Doug Shepard
09-25-2008, 9:52 AM
Other than the price, what's the general opinion on BCTW's new CT-15 Multi-Square http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Products/What's+New/CT-15+Multi-Square ?
One half of my brain says having all the functions on 1 tool is pretty nice, but the other brain half says none of the tools would be as good as having independent dedicated layout tools. I've got BCTW's 2x4 saddle square which is pretty handy, but none of the DT saddle squares which might be nice and would probably come close to the CT-15 price if both were bought separately. Bevels and Try-squares I've got, but not a double square which I've always wanted. Cant figure out why they left a screwdriver, can opener, and corkscrew off, but otherwise this is an interesting looking tool and I'm sure up to BCTWs normal quality standards. But whaddaya think?

Gary Lange
09-25-2008, 9:56 AM
I could never justify the Price. Cheaper to get separate tools.

Greg Sznajdruk
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Your analogue to the Swiss Army Knife may be a good starting point. The Swiss Army Knife can do many different things but not well, this tool is usually relegated to the junk drawer.

Greg

Doug Shepard
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
... The Swiss Army Knife can do many different things but not well, this tool is usually relegated to the junk drawer.

Greg

Well I dunno about that. I've carried one in my left front pocket for maybe 20 years and think I've used every tool on it at least once. The 2 knife blades and screwdriver get used quite a bit.
But it definitely reminds me of a Swiss Army knife or maybe Leatherman tool with the multifunction tools they packed into it.

mike holden
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Doug,
Some of the Bridge City tools inspire "tool lust" in me. This one doesn't. It is not gorgeous, does not fill a need, is not enough of a "gizmo" - in short - it is uninteresting.
Just my opinion, YMMV,
Mike

Bill White
09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
When I see "commemorative" or "limited edition" on tooling I know that they are too expensive to use or gift for someone who has everything.
Bill

Peter Quinn
09-25-2008, 9:07 PM
What the heck is that wacky thing? A bevel square and a dovetail saddle for $300? Does it do windows? Can it make pancakes? I think the air is getting a little thin there in Bridge City. Seems all the bevel squares are archived, out of production? So that is the only bevel square they sell?

Weird thing that multi gadget tool. Does it at least have a beer and wine opener? I've paid that much for a good corkscrew before.

David Tiell
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
While I think I am clinically addicted to BCTW tools, this one just doesn't appeal to me. Especially at that price.

Doug Shepard
09-26-2008, 5:41 AM
David
I was already leaning into the No-Deal camp. I think they're probably not going to see many sales on this if certified BCTW junkies such as yourself aren't interested. Maybe if they'd made it from brass with jarra infill?:D

David Tiell
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Maybe if they'd made it from brass with jarra infill?:D
Now you're talking, Doug!:D

Actually, while it's a neat looking gadget, it provides nothing new. I already have their previous tools that do the same things (squares, saddle squares, dovetail squares, dovetail saddle squares, and t-bevels). Buying it would do nothing for me I can't already do, other than to take up valuable space in my tool drawer.