PDA

View Full Version : "Trading Places"...a LOML anecdote

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 8:43 AM
Yesterday, I had a customer meeting in Springfield MA and for a number of reasons not worth going into, I had to drive it. At 480 miles round trip it was a long day, but actually not a bad ride on a sunny day. Normally, I would have just got in my hybrid Highlander SUV (27 mpg), but decided to swap cars for the day with Professor Dr. SWMBO and use her 2008 Prius. It only had one good long distance run since we traded in the 2003 and I wanted to see how well it would do mileage wise with just the driver, rather than the whole family. (51 mpg on that previous ride with four people :) )

So I do the trip and enjoy the ride including having the ability to plug in my MP3 player. About an hour before getting home last night, I'm chatting with Professor Dr. SWMBO on the phone and she comes up with the following:
You know, I was really frustrated today with your car. I walked up to it and it didn't know me. I had to unlock the door with the clicker. And then when I got in it, I had to actually use a metal key to turn it on. To add insult to injury, I had to look in the mirrors when I was backing up since there was no camera...
Ya, I have a 2006 antique it seems. :eek: Despite the NAV system, sound system, leather interior and the fancy hybrid stuff, my beloved Highlander still requires you to use a key/fob and back up with mirrors. No MP3 connection, either. Sheesh!

Life is good...and borrowing the LOML's car once in awhile is...priceless! :D (And BTW, I got just under 54 MPG on the 480 mile round trip yesterday...)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-25-2008, 9:04 AM
SWMBO..just proved...You dont realize what ya' got until ya' don't got it no more!

Mark Patoka
09-25-2008, 9:04 AM
That falls into the "remember how we used to do things before (insert technological advancement here)..." category. Obviously we've come a long way since 2006!

My wife usually drives her Toyota Matrix but when she drives my F150, she actually loves it because of the blind spot/trailer towing mirrors. The Matrix just seems to have lots of blind spots that are hard to see but with the truck you can see everything coming up around you.

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 9:11 AM
Trust me, Mark...the backup camera on the Prius is important. It can be pretty blind directly behind it due to the design of the rear of the vehicle. The Matrix, although not exactly the same, shares a similar profile (I've driven them as a rental) and I do understand how your LOYL enjoys the better view from your truck.

Scott Kilroy
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
The Matrix, although not exactly the same, shares a similar profile

I've got a matrix, think it's a great little car but the blind spots almost caused two accidents in the first month of ownership.

Tom Godley
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I have said to myself many times "why would I need that" only to find that I need it!

I have been looking at hatchbacks as a possible replacement for an aging wagon in the family and have been surprised at the blind spots in many of them - this is a deal breaker for me.

I have not driven a Prius with the camera.

Lee Schierer
09-25-2008, 1:10 PM
Ya, I have a 2006 antique it seems. :eek: Despite the NAV system, sound system, leather interior and the fancy hybrid stuff, my beloved Highlander still requires you to use a key/fob and back up with mirrors. No MP3 connection, either. Sheesh!

Jim, I think you missed the hint, she wants you to get a 2009 Highlander hybrid with all the whistles and bells so she won't have to rough it when you borrow her car. :D

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 1:50 PM
Jim, I think you missed the hint, she wants you to get a 2009 Highlander hybrid with all the whistles and bells so she won't have to rough it when you borrow her car.

LOL, I almost have the 2006 paid off and plan on keeping things that way for awhile. Too much uncertainty "out there". And there are some neat add-ons I can get if I really want things like some of the extra bells and whistles from a company named Coastal in Florida. I really would like to add the LockPic product to make the NAV more flexible and also add some aux audio input capablity. And if I have to start spending more time in my car, which is a potential, that will be a done deal. WXPN.org has a limited range...

Peter Stahl
09-26-2008, 6:18 AM
LOL, I almost have the 2006 paid off and plan on keeping things that way for awhile. Too much uncertainty "out there". And there are some neat add-ons I can get if I really want things like some of the extra bells and whistles from a company named Coastal in Florida. I really would like to add the LockPic product to make the NAV more flexible and also add some aux audio input capablity. And if I have to start spending more time in my car, which is a potential, that will be a done deal. WXPN.org has a limited range...

Jim,

Do you have a url address for Coastal in Florida? Talk to the dealer, they may be able to put a back up camera in it or use a company like Crutchfield.com to get a add for it.

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 8:15 AM
Peter, Coastal (http://www.coastaletech.com/) has a backup camera for my Highlander...I'm just not convinced I need that particular feature since the view is good and I can pretty much back it into small spaces with my eye's half closed. (Most of their stuff is for the Prius; however, they are supporting a bunch of other vehicles with their "lockpick" product) To add to my anecdote, I'm a habitual "back in to park" type person...the exact opposite of Professor Dr. SWMBO. I actually find it easier to back IN than the back OUT for some reason. And in parking garages, I find that safer since I can see the traffic driving by my space too fast as I'm trying to leave a lot better than I can if I were backing out.

Peter Stahl
09-26-2008, 2:16 PM
Peter, Coastal (http://www.coastaletech.com/) has a backup camera for my Highlander...I'm just not convinced I need that particular feature since the view is good and I can pretty much back it into small spaces with my eye's half closed. (Most of their stuff is for the Prius; however, they are supporting a bunch of other vehicles with their "lockpick" product) To add to my anecdote, I'm a habitual "back in to park" type person...the exact opposite of Professor Dr. SWMBO. I actually find it easier to back IN than the back OUT for some reason. And in parking garages, I find that safer since I can see the traffic driving by my space too fast as I'm trying to leave a lot better than I can if I were backing out.

Thanks Jim, really cool site.

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 3:11 PM
'Seem to be nice people, Peter. I've only bought the "all electric" option for the Prius so far, but haven't had time to install it yet. Nice for when running around town or in large parking lots... The '09 Highlander Hybrid has this "native" as does the Prius outside of the US.

Greg Cole
09-26-2008, 3:21 PM
Jim,
I'll let her take my truck anytime... circa 97 Tacoma. Manual locks, windows, manual seats, manual hubs.......
My wife loves driving the truck.. something about the ride height and perspective (3" suspension lift and 33" tires).
Honestly, I prefer my truck to be "that way". I'll be moaning & groaning when I buy a new one about all the power everything and excess crap. One of these years I'll break down and add another vehicle to the inventory.
But me thinks the old Toy will be with me for a looooong time still, she's only reading 106K on the odometer. 'Tis odd to think I've had the truck for twice as many years without payments that I did with.
Greg

John Shuk
09-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Backing in to park is our official company policy. You have some control over the traffic when backing in and good visibility pulling out. I almost always back in using my personal wheels as well.

glenn bradley
09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
You know, I never needed electric side mirrors, till I had 'em. Wouldn't want to give them up now ;-) Wasn't there a car a few years ago that had several presets for seats, steering wheel and mirrors that all went into position when a memory button was pushed? That would be nice for folks who share cars . . . of course that won't be Jim any-longer-ever-again ;-)

Darren Null
09-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Backing in to park is our official company policy.
Makes sense. You're warmed up, you know where the edges of your vehicle are, everything is defrosted and the visibility is as good as it gets. Then driving out with a cold car, you're doing it forwards, which you're better at. Or maybe somebody else takes the vehicle out, in which case it's even more important to make it easy for the first 50 yards until you get the measure of the wagon. And, you drive past the target parking space and get a good look at it.

The only time ever in my life I went into a driveway forwards (because I was completely knackered), somebody put a skip across the road in the 40 minutes I had to sleep in and I caved in the back of the car when I reversed out. I expect that's not typical, but I have never parked where you have to reverse to get out since.

Frank Hagan
09-27-2008, 12:48 PM
When I first got my Prius in 2006 I was surprised when the engine shut off (which it does regularly, including every time you stop for more than a second). I knew it did it by design, but I found myself thinking the car had died at every stop light. And yeah, the back up camera and the "smart key" is nice, but really, aren't these just frivolous things?

But now I have a hard time driving anything else. Sitting at a signal light in my truck, I keep thinking "Geez, the engine's running for NOTHING, and I'm wasting gas at $379 a gallon". And every time I get it, I have to fish my keys out of my pocket because I've forgotten you can't just hop in and push a button.

It is amazing how quickly we become used to modern conveniences. I wonder if my kids could get by with 5 television stations, with half the shows in black and white, and 45 RPM singles?

Bill Cunningham
09-27-2008, 9:43 PM
Ya! Try and get your grandchildren interested in a video game of 'pong' or a episode of Howdy Doody:D

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 2:55 PM
Bill, interestingly, the Nintendo DS Lite's that our girls recently bought with their "annual allowance bonus" actually came with a bunch of the older classic video games. It was nice to see, frankly. And since the processors are um...more spirited...than the original machines, the higher levels of the games can be even more exciting. :)

As to Howdy Doody...not on the hit list around her. But I Love Lucy is a constant with the younger. (age 9)

Tim Morton
09-28-2008, 7:05 PM
Jim we may have passed each other...i was driving thru springfield around 9 in the morning on my way down to visit my daughter in connecticut...in a Escape Hybrid getting 32.7mpg:)

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 7:28 PM
Yea, if you were on the Merritt, you would have passed me at some point, perhaps...

Andrew Derhammer
09-28-2008, 9:58 PM
I think that a flinstone car is the best way to go. No key needed, uses a renewable resource in its construction, doesn't use a fuel, and we can maintenance it ourselves, well at least SMCreekers can!

Jim Becker
09-29-2008, 7:22 AM
But the cost for shoes, Andrew, would be enormous! LOL