PDA

View Full Version : Corel X3 and lost icons

David Brasfield
09-25-2008, 7:59 AM
I am sure others have had this happen to them.

On two separate machines, after loading a large .BMP, most of the icons in the various toolbars, dockers, and selection windows went away. The .BMP's were different images.

The functions still work *IF* you know where the icon/button/arrow/selector *was*, and you hover your mouse over the area and click.

Is there a fix for this?

Both machines have ample resources and large amounts of memory for Corel to use.

Thanks much!
David

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Just a guess but try right clicking in the tool bar area. I think that'll bring up a check off box with all the toolbars listed.

David Brasfield
09-25-2008, 2:32 PM
I can get to the toolbars and dockers. I can click on the places where the icons should be, and the expected function occurs.

I have done some research on it, and whatever the deal is, it has something to do with interaction between the windows user environment, and corel.

I turned off the "Themes" service in xp, and I got all the icons back. That is weird enough, but for the first time, all the corel files displayed as thumbs or tiles.

Maybe it will stick, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again. For corel users that have had similar problems, once it happens, it seems to go and come at random, even after a re-installation.

David

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 2:42 PM
David

You might try going to the Corel newsgroups and pose the question to them.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1152796556333

Frank Corker
09-25-2008, 4:10 PM
This happened to me on X4, I ended up removing it because of that - very irritating!

Roy Brewer
09-25-2008, 11:53 PM
On two separate machines, after loading a large .BMP, most of the icons in the various toolbars, dockers, and selection windows went away. The .BMP's were different images.David,

You are right. This started happening in 11 or 12, as I recall, but happens so seldom in X3 & X4, that I've never even thought to research it. After your observations, I'll watch from now on to see if it's always on large bitmaps(I'd never thought about it being a certain type image that caused it).

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's themes since I've always, immediately turned off themes in XP and the Aero in Vista and it continues to occasionally occur(save/close & Opening seems to always fix it).

David Brasfield
09-26-2008, 12:09 AM
It may not be themes, but I disabled the service in the other affected machine and it cleared the problem (for now, anyway).

The "Themes" is probably just mucking about with the user environment. and whatever corel does, gets undone, at least temporarily. It will be interesting to see if it is a permanent cure. I hope so. I am already deeply in love, NOT, with corel. As for Bill Gates, well, let's just say that when Apple announced its move to a BSD ('nix) based OS, I bought stock :-D

David