PDA

View Full Version : Burned Edges

David Dustin
09-25-2008, 7:25 AM
How do ya'll minimize the burned edges when you vector cut wood?
When we cut out examples from wood the edges are very dark (burned) and the charred edge continues to rub off for weeks it seems.

We are usually vectoring at 100% power and 500 PPI.

Thanks,
David

Scott Shepherd
09-25-2008, 7:35 AM
Depends on the wood, some will always turn black, but the first thing to do is reduce the PPI. Get down in the 200 range.

How thick is the wood and what type is it?

You really want only enough power to get through it. That may be 100% or it may be 50%. So just enough power to cut through and then lower PPI will help.

Just my opinion.

David Dustin
09-25-2008, 7:41 AM
The wood is 1/8" and is cherry wood and we have some hickory too.

Thanks,
David

Scott Shepherd
09-25-2008, 8:47 AM
I don't burn much wood at all, but I have burned some thin cherry. Shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.

Just drop those PPI's and get the power so it's just cutting cleanly through and it should resolve the issue.

I've not cut any hickory, so I can't speak for it.

Scott Challoner
09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
1/8" cherry should cut like butter. Scott's right. Lower the ppi. IMHO speed is even more important. You char when you stay in one place too long. I start at 100% power and cut as fast as I can and then start reducing the power till I've found the sweet spot. I recently found that I can cut 1/4 inch poplar at 80% power without sacrificing speed. Once you have the settings right, reduce the speed a little bit to make sure you consistantly cut through (without char). There is nothing more frustrating than finishing a whole panel of ornaments or whatever only to find most are still attached in several places.:mad:

Mike Null
09-25-2008, 11:31 AM
All good answers. I also use two passes if need be to reduce charring.

Mike Mackenzie
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
David,

Everyone above is correct simply lowering the PPI to 200-250 will get rid of the burnt edges.

Darren Null
09-25-2008, 4:20 PM
Oddly enough, I always get more charring if I cut in more than one pass. The way I normally get rid of the black edges is putting the pieces under the tap and cleaning them with a brush. They still end up blackish, but nothing rubs off then.