PDA

View Full Version : Getting some apple wood, what do I do with it?

Michael Campbell
05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
(Reposted on Woodnet, no need to answer both places; I check both frequently.)

I'm about to get an 8' long, 8"-10" diameter apple tree log.

I have never had wood this, uhm, "fresh" before, so not sure what to do with it or how to prepare it. Any thoughts?

I have a bandsaw capable of resawing it, so was figuring I'd resaw into 2"-3" planks, sticker, and let dry for a while, but I'm really flying blind here. Any input most welcome.

Also, any thoughts on the workability of apple; is it worth using for anything nice, practice, firewood, toys, etc...?

Thanks

Michael

John Miliunas
05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Michael, my first thought is: The good Lord made it round. Therefore, it would be appropriate to cut some nice turning blocks out of it and mount it on a spinny thing! If you don't have a lathe, not a problem. I'll be happy to PM you my shipping address! :D (Apple, BTW, is great turning material!) :cool:

Ken Salisbury
05-14-2004, 6:34 AM
Use a portion to make a couple of these:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/applebowl3.jpghttp://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/apple4.jpg

John Miliunas
05-14-2004, 7:44 AM
Use a portion to make a couple of these:

Yeah, exactly what I meant! Nice job on those, Ken! :cool:

Jim Reed
05-14-2004, 9:26 AM
I have milled up dogwood from my yard--apple is similar. I started with 35" logs so I could get some legs. Milled into 6/4 and 4/4 boards. Mill into a square first & then pull boards off each side. The center is juvie wood and not stable. Treat the ends with paraffin to 1". Make some stickers and place them at 18". Build a neat stack & let it dry. Weigh the top piece on bathroom scales and you can mark the progress of drying. My dogwood took two years to dry in a climate controlled basement. Apple is good for mallets. Would also make a nice table top. Attached is picture of table with dogwood legs. Good luck.

Dan Mages
05-14-2004, 10:33 AM
You can make it feel at home and make a pie box for it. The wood chips are especially good for smoking meat on the barbeque.

Dan

Alan Turner
05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Apple is the original wood of the Disston hand saw handles, those pre-WWII. So, get out your carving tools and have at.
Alan

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 1:58 PM
If you like smoked ribs and meat.... :eek:
Apple and pecan are the two best smoking woods out there. :D :) :rolleyes: :o
Save a little for smoking!!!

Steve Beadle
05-19-2004, 2:08 PM
I've heard that the right chunk of apple wood can make a very nice wooden plane body, if you've got a Neanderthal streak.

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 2:35 PM
One note about apple...like any fruitwood, it will crack and split easily while drying, so you must sticker and stack it properly outdoors in an area with good airflow and keep some weight on top. You can turn it dripping wet, especially if you want to go thin and get some great distortion (requires hand sanding when dry), but for boards you have to follow the "rules"!! If you ever get to visit the Wharton Eshrick Museum near Valley Forge PA, the floor in the kitchen is made from apple...natural edge boards knit together in an amazing way!

jim barter
05-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Mike / I have used apple for quite a few bowls and like Jim was saying it will split.It is a very dense wood with dark brown in the old growth and a light tan mixture in the sap wood.I have found that if you keep a spray bottle with water at the lathe when turning and stop often to look for checks.When found and you will find some give a quick spray of water and wait a few seconds then carry on turning,the crack will be gone.Due to the density of the wood heat and lots of it are created while turning and sanding. Beautiful wood .I have found that when bringing home a log on the trailer the wind will split the end even though I use liquid wax.I now put a glad garbage bag over the end facing into the wind.
Jim Barter