PDA

View Full Version : what to do in "the big apple"?

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-25-2008, 7:12 AM
i'm heading to new york city for four days of r&r in late october. i am going to visit with some old friends from college and attend the photoplus expo at the javits convention center.

i'll have some time to take take in the normal tourist stuff - statue of liberty, the 9-11 site, empire state building, etc.

any other recommendations?

any noteworthy wood working/wood turning places of interest?

thanks for looking!

Jeffrey Makiel
09-25-2008, 7:33 AM
Some other possibilities:
1. Metropolitan Museum of Art. Probably one of the best museums I've been to. It's huge.
2. A walk thru Central Park
3. Just walking around the uptown area between 70th and 90th streets. Lots of restaurants, cafes and retail shops.

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 7:45 AM
Tools For Working Wood's place should be on your hit list.

But when asking about things to do in the Big Apple, the question is probably best expressed as "what NOT to do in the Big Apple?" If you can think of it (or maybe even beyond that... ;) ), it can be found/had in NYC! LOL

Doug Jones from Oregon
09-25-2008, 8:56 AM
Carnegie Deli...

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 9:04 AM
Carnegie Deli...

Oooohh...a good one!

jeremy levine
09-25-2008, 9:26 AM
One thing , there is no 9-11 memorial.

Railroading (model or otherwise) - Go to Grand Central station ( really terminal ). Just to see it , there are shops and places to eat , and the place itself !! Check out the
http://www.transitmuseumstore.com/ in GCT

Photography - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Many many museums ( bring triple A , AARP or any other discount cards with you )

The main branch of the new york public library cool

Are you staying in the City ?

Dave Cohen
09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Carnegie Deli...

Also Katz's deli in the SOHO area

While you are down there, the lower east side has many kinds of very good, reasonably priced restaurants representing cuisine from many different countries (Thai, Indian, Russian, Spanish, Ethiopian food (very good) etc.)

China Town

MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) - one of NY's best museum's just renovated and a very cool space, often has exhibits on various aspects of design and furniture.

Galleries in SOHO.

Catch a concert at Avery Fisher Hall (Lincoln Center)

TKTS in Times square (go there same day and get 1/2 priced tickets for Broadway shows).

Try to go through Grand Central if using subways (it was renovated a few years back and is worth seeing)

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, take a walk on the promenade in Brooklyn Heights near dusk and check out Manhattan.

Riverside park on the upper west side.

etc.

Mike McCann
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Jeff

NYC has everything you name it they got it except gambling you need to go to the reservation or down to Jersey.

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
wow!

lot's of good stuff;

MOMA

central park

grand central station (i am a train geek - full size and 'n' scale)

carnegie deli

brooklyn bridge

Tools For Working Wood's

ok... so any recommendations for;

best pizza in town?

best bagels in town?

jeremy--

i'll be staying with a former classmate on 43rd street.

Dave Cohen
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
never ate it, but a lot of people say Ray's Pizza is the best

Scott Kilroy
09-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Photography - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I've got to second that suggestion. B and H on a busy day is amazing to watch and they have almost everything related to photography.

I always recommend taking a walk across the Brooklyn bridge.

I wouldn't go out of my way, but if you're in the general area checkout The American Folk Art Museum (www.folkartmuseum.org) and the Tenement Museum (www.tenement.org). These are two smaller museums that get overlooked because they're very small.

jeremy levine
09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Pizza anywhere but Ray Baris (sp?).
A lot of people love Luzzos' 211 1st Ave ( which is around E 12th street) (212) 473-7447 or Lombardi's 32 Spring St (Down Town)

The tiny NY pizzia places are generally good.

Your lucky 43'rd nice area east , west north or south all interesting.
3rd, 2nd and 1st ave ( north of 43 ) up to probably the 60's lots of resturants and shops ( and even a borg) .

Bagel ? Hmm do not get one from a street cart.

Ben Grunow
09-25-2008, 8:37 PM
Defintely take the Circle Line boat around the island. Best at low tide so the boat fits under all the bridges.

Eric Larsen
09-25-2008, 9:09 PM
Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

It's almost as good as a trip to Italy. Seriously, just go there. Best thing in New York, hands down, if you like to eat. That's where you're going to get the best pizza. And also the best salami, mortadella, chicken parm, veal, minestone, italian ice, gelato, cannolis. And the bread, just wow. (You cannot skip this, LOML and I go to Arthur Avenue every time, even if it's pouring rain.)

EDIT -- Also, if you're a foodie, Zabar's and Dean & Delucca. Way expensive, but quality costs money. It's like going to Harrod's or Harvey Nick's in London. A must for any foodie.

Also depending on your tastes, I've always been a big fan of the Met (especially the Frank Lloyd Wright rooms), and MOMA.

Carnegie Deli is good. But people who know go to Katz' on E Houston. (200 block, I'm pretty sure. Remember, it's pronounced "House-ton")

Got kids? Pick up something at FAO Schwartz on 5th, near the park.

Dim Sum in Chinatown. NYC has the second-best Chinatown in the US.

Catch a show. Spamalot is still playing last I checked. But The Producers, sadly, is not.

And finally, A NIGHT AT THE OPERA! The met has an amazing line-up this year, including Don Giovanni and Madame Butterfly. All their best shows happen in October.

Line your tickets up now if you want to see a show.

i'm heading to new york city for four days of r&r in late october. i am going to visit with some old friends from college and attend the photoplus expo at the javits convention center.

i'll have some time to take take in the normal tourist stuff - statue of liberty, the 9-11 site, empire state building, etc.

any other recommendations?

any noteworthy wood working/wood turning places of interest?

thanks for looking!

Ray Schafer
09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
My girlfriend and I used to go to China town for dinner, walk to Little Italy for dessert and then walk to the Village for drinks and music. THAT was a blast.

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-26-2008, 6:39 AM
Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

It's almost as good as a trip to Italy. Seriously, just go there. Best thing in New York, hands down, if you like to eat. That's where you're going to get the best pizza. And also the best salami, mortadella, chicken parm, veal, minestone, italian ice, gelato, cannolis. And the bread, just wow. (You cannot skip this, LOML and I go to Arthur Avenue every time, even if it's pouring rain.)

eric--

i'm drooling, already.

even if you hadn't told me about arthur avenue, my paesano/bloodhound nose would have found this place. i haven't been to a good delicatessen in years. i grew up in pittsburgh. there was a large italian community there, so every neighborhood had a deli. there was nothing like walking thru the door and having the aroma waft over you. heaven.

maybe i'll skip the photo show and just eat my way thru town.

funny that you mention the bread. i'm a bread freak. i could make a meal out of a loaf of good bread - and maybe a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. my wife says that she has never seen anyone eat "just bread" as much as i do. i always tell her that there is no such thing as "just bread".

thanks for the pm, too. i appreciate the advice and alternate suggestions.

Benjamin Dahl
09-26-2008, 7:41 AM
my favorite pizza place is DiFara. really amazing, but if you go, make sure you have some time.
here is a good description.
http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/05/31/nyc-dining-difara-pizza/

Don Bullock
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow! Just about everything can be done in New York. It just depends mostly where you're staying and what's available via public transportation or taxis from there. I love to drive, but would never even try to drive or park in Manhattan.

Times Square by day and night is a "must" for a first time visitor. While you're there if youre looking for some great authentic New York City eats, look no further than Roxys Deli located at 1565 Broadway, at the heart of Times Square.

When I in New York in January I went to the top of Rockefeller Center http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ and the view was spectacular.

I love musicals and have been to see many here in Southern California, but they don't compare to a true Broadway production. I saw Wicked and was blown away. The story, cast and production are fabulous. Broadway is very close to Times Square.

Eric Larsen
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I just had to post this link about Arthur Avenue:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/abbondanza-on-arthur-avenue/

I really need to thank you, Jeffrey. LOML was reading over my shoulder while I posted my suggestions. Now she wants me to find airfare to JFK around Thanksgiving... "We really need to go back to Arthur Avenue," LOML says, "Think of all the money we'd save buying proscuitto at Pete's Meats instead of at Whole Foods!"

This time, we might just STAY in the Bronx. (Never thought I'd say THAT in my lifetime.)

eric--

i'm drooling, already.

even if you hadn't told me about arthur avenue, my paesano/bloodhound nose would have found this place. i haven't been to a good delicatessen in years. i grew up in pittsburgh. there was a large italian community there, so every neighborhood had a deli. there was nothing like walking thru the door and having the aroma waft over you. heaven.

maybe i'll skip the photo show and just eat my way thru town.

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-26-2008, 1:32 PM
OMG!

your cholesterol could go up just reading that link! :eek:

I really need to thank you, Jeffrey. LOML was reading over my shoulder while I posted my suggestions. Now she wants me to find airfare to JFK around Thanksgiving... "We really need to go back to Arthur Avenue," LOML says, "Think of all the money we'd save buying proscuitto at Pete's Meats instead of at Whole Foods!"

This time, we might just STAY in the Bronx. (Never thought I'd say THAT in my lifetime.)

Don Bullock
09-26-2008, 1:44 PM

There goes my diet.:eek:

BTW -- The food choices in New York are far beyond any experience I've ever had. In Manhattan alone there are several fantastic eating places on every block. The variety and quality is amazing!:D

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 3:13 PM
'Just be aware that the wonderful variety of culinary delights in NYC and surrounding do come with a price...

Peter Quadarella
09-26-2008, 4:04 PM
What to do in NYC really depends on what you're into, since as everyone mentioned you can do nearly anything in NYC.

The suggestion about Times Square, a good dinner, and a play is a great one, if you are up for the spending. Try to hit both downtown and midtown. If you don't mind a beer or 2, hit a pub/bar in each of them for the slightly different flavor. Don't listen to the pizza suggestions, since all the best pizzerias are in Bensonhurst anyway and many of them are gone these days. :)

Jon Todd
09-26-2008, 4:32 PM
Go to the top of the Roockefeller center its a great view.

Darren Null
09-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dan Mages
09-28-2008, 11:44 AM
If you want to see a show, I reccomend Avenue Q... Completely irreverent, but hillarious!

Dan

John Shuk
09-29-2008, 2:38 PM
I liked Times Square when it was still on the seedy side.
I enjoy the area around Washington Square Park most.
Central Park is always great too.
Usually the folks from the city come up to my town on the weekends. Antiquing and enjoying the great views.

Danny Thompson
09-29-2008, 5:55 PM
Take the subway, then a hike, then climb the 4 flights of stairs to Tools for Working Wood in Brooklyn.
- Buy a Bowsaw, dovetail saw, Ray Iles mortising chisel, or hold-downs as an heirloom souvenir

Jog, or walk, the Central Park Reservoir.
- The view is amazing and you will start to recognize it in just about every NY movie.

See Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Nights" and Monet's huge "Water Lillies" in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

If you make it ot Grand Central Station, find the echo-chamber down by the Oyster Bar. It's this domed intersection of passageways where, if you stand in the corner (facing the corner) and whisper, the person in the opposite corner can hear you clear as day.

Food:
Eat Paella at "El Poté" (39th and 2nd).
- I never liked it before.

If semi-cooked fish is an option, try the cod a "Nobu Next Door"
- Never had anything like it. They drizzle hot oil on the raw fish, which partially cooks it.

For a big fancy night out, try The Rainbow Room or The Rainbow Grille on the 65th (ish) floor of Rockefeller center--beautiful view.

Nancy Laird
09-29-2008, 6:05 PM
If you go to the Carnagie Deli, take three more people along - one sandwich can feed four people, or provide four meals for you!! A 12" high stack of corned beef or pastrami is not something the faint-hearted should face alone!!

dennis thompson
09-29-2008, 6:07 PM
A round trip on the Staten Island Ferry is nice too & it's free, round trip takes about an hour
Dennis

Andrew Derhammer
09-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Cancel your plans, go to philly
Philly cheesesteaks and philly soft pretzels, nuff said.:D:p

Mike Null
10-01-2008, 8:34 AM
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the three greatest museums in the world. The Guggenheim is one of the premier museums of modern art.

Grand Central Station, the Staten Island ferry is still the best bargain in NY, the subway if you've never been on one, the Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, etc. etc.

A Broadway show.

jeremy levine
11-07-2008, 9:23 AM
Well how was the trip ??

Bob Moyer
11-07-2008, 9:30 AM
1. Do not buy any Rolox watches

1. Do take in the store Christmas window displays