PDA

View Full Version : Brodhead-Garrett Co Lathe

James Williams 007
09-25-2008, 4:12 AM
I am interested in purchasing this lathe but don't know much about it. the owner says its in good condition. I would like to know if it could handle turning bowls and the range in speeds. It's a Brodhead-Garrett Co. J-line. I have some pics that might help. Thanks

Bob Vallaster
09-25-2008, 9:38 AM
Exploit the search function on OWWM: http://owwm.com/

Search on broadhead. Search on garrett. Seach on J-line.

Follow the leads. Even the photo captions have some information from the folks who submited them.

I didn't see any publications available for yours, just photos.

It looks like there a connection to Yates-American. Maybe your best hope for pubs/parts lists would be to use pubs for equivalent YA lathe.

BobV

Paul Engle
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
James, from another forum , i have seen these for sale from 600$ to 1200$ depending on condition ... commonly made for several different companies I think, check the site Bob listed and you will see more info.

Bob Hampton
09-25-2008, 10:48 AM
james
ill tell u what i know and u take it from there ....
friend of mine has same lathe and uses it alot so here is what i can tell u about it ...it will do bowls of limited size about 10" is the limit unless u can switch the chuck to the backside of the head...some could some couldnt...power range is good on his but he can stall it with to agressive a cut on a large blank....could install a larger motor to releive that .
Measure from center of the spindle shaft to the bed and that should give u an idea of the size of bowl u can do ...
Look on the back of the headstock and see if the shaft is threaded if there is a faceplate around see if it threads on ..this feature will allow larger blanks
Make sure it has 1x8 threads on the spindle if its 3/4x16 then u have to use adapters for most accessories these days and thats not a good thing...sometimes the adpt dont work well and create alot of wobble

thats about all i can tell u about it ..hope that helps
Bob