PDA

View Full Version : Music in the Shop

markus shaffer
05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
There was a thread a while back regarding stereos in the shop.. Concerns about the effects of dust on electronics and the such were brought up.. I'm curious what other people actually listen to in the shop.

This will probably be revealing of my age, but I've found that I'm most productive when I listen to angry heavy metal music.. Some days I'll listen to talk radio all day; NPR or the news.. Those days I usually end up not only having done less work, but in a rotten mood having been informed of the woes of the world. Alternately, the most angry screaming distorted guitar music will put me in a mindset where I can work all day without stopping quite often and I end up getting more done than I thought possible. Luckily I work alone as I don't know anyone who does woodworking and shares my musical tastes..

Is anyone else here as motivated by music (not just abrasive music) this way or am I just crazy?

-Markus

Steve Evans
05-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Markus

I always have music on in my shop and it can be fairly diverse. I have an MP3 player out there that is on my network and I have about 7000 songs on a server in my basement office. Everything from blues to metal to classical to eclectic. Like you I find that the right combination of music and mindset can lead to some very productive days.

Jeff Skory
05-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Hey Markus,

I don't do woodworking for a living, I am a software developer. But I do quite often listen to music while programming. I think the biggest reason it gets me going is that it tends to shut out the rest of the world even though I am surrounded by lots of people.

I listen to a whole variety of music. I recently purchased a subscription to XM Satelite Radio and find that I spend most of my time listening to a station they call XMU - basically Unknown performers.

Most of the angry heavy metal tends to be too jarring to my thought processes while programming so I tend to stay a little this side of that genre, but I do like fast music. Seems to make me think quicker. :D

So what bands do you tend to listen to?

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I have found that music can not only set my "tone" of mind but also set the pace at which I work! I'm a fan of mid-60's to mid-70's rock with emphasis on vocals. I enjoy some of the rock instrumentals (Claptonish) of those times. When I'm struggling with a mental problem I find classical or orchestral seem to help me concentrate and yet lets my mind wander until I finally stumble onto the resolution for my problem. Music! 2nd only to the love of a good woman!

Tyler Howell
05-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Smooth Jazz gets a bulk of the work done:cool: but some Stevie RayVaughn, Hendrix or Corrie Stevens will really clean house.;) Before any tools went in the tunes were on. For boaring tasks there is always the tube. I have the shop stereo hooked to the main breaker so I no the power is off when I leave.

John Miliunas
05-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Markus, I'm with you 100%! Just nothing like a smooth, soathing set of Rush to get me going! :rolleyes: ("Rush" is my numero uno band.) I like a nice mix of heavy metal, along with some heavy metal, then some heavy metal and throw some Metallica in there, just for good measure! :D Sorry, but much of anything else tends to put me to sleep! ;) :cool:

Jim Taylor
05-13-2004, 11:28 PM
It's classical if I need to slow down and think.

Celtic for any active work

Rock if I am roughing out large lumber

I'm with you on the NPR thing... that used to be my main driving preference, too depressing now. I got rid of my TV about 2 years ago, don't regret missing the news for a moment.

Wolf Kiessling
05-13-2004, 11:33 PM
The music is on in my studio, ah, shop 24/7/365. I NEVER turn it off. It stays on 50's and 60's rock or country western of any decade.

Wes Bischel
05-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, up until my little one arrived I listened to a variety of rock n roll - now I listen to the gentle snore on the baby monitor.

As for NPR since they gave Bob Edwards the boot, I don't listen in the morning anymore. :(

Wes

Kelly C. Hanna
05-14-2004, 12:52 AM
I am a rocker from way back...I just scored another Kenwood reciever off ebay to replace the one in the shop which has finally lost a channel after 10 years. Free, Humble Pie, Wishbone Ash, Led Zeppelin, the original Van Halen and a host of others really get me going (the other day I actually heard D.O.A. by the little known Texas band Bloodrock)! In the last incarnation of the shop, when the addition is built, there will be a lexan cabinet built with a turntable inside so that ALL my catalog can be played in the shop. Right now it's either the radio or CD.

John Weber
05-14-2004, 1:11 AM
Holy Cow, In Middle/High School Rush was my fav. I still love a jam to Red Barchetta, Closer To The Heart, The Trees, Tom Sawyer, etc... I use to listing to Exit Stage Left on my Paper route all the time. Now I still crank them up in the car (the audio system in my Passat kicks the crap out of my high dollar "rack" system from my single days).

For a long work session such as washing and waxing the car Pink Floyd The Wall is a great CD. In the shop I usually just listen to the local station (small town). I agree talk radio is a downer, although I still listen on occasion. Lately I've been listening to the tube, ESPN, Discovery, or the History channel. I think I would go nuts if I couldn't listen to anything in the shop.

John

Todd Burch
05-14-2004, 1:41 AM
I've been listening to conservative talk radio for several months now, and thinking about it now, it hasn't done ANYTHING for my productivity... although I am much more informed about liberal goings on. (As if).

I enjoy a local 80's station most of the time, if not the Oldies station. Back when I was a programmer, I would put the headphones on and REALLY kick out the code listening to Led Zepplin and Sting... perhaps it's time to put a CD player in the shop, and retire the AM/FM radio that I've been listening to for well over 15 years.

There is a local station for "golden oldies" country songs, which sucks, because some of them came out when I was in High School... :-(, but I can't get it in on the old analog tuner radio.

David Klink
05-14-2004, 3:29 AM
Ken and I are birds of a feather as far as sounds go. Just about anything from the mid 60's - late 70's keeps me going. Well, as long as I resist the urge to grab my push broom and break into some air guitar, which I never do with the garage door open, by the way. ;)

I have a decent sized Sony boom box under this one bench of mine. 6 disc cd player that's slot loading with a remote. Being under the bench prevents much more than surface dust from collecting, and the slot loading does a good job of keeping dust out.

Brian Hale
05-14-2004, 4:22 AM
Rush, Metallica, Live, Crack the Sky, and perhaps some Buffett. I get a lot more done if the "other half" of my head isn't trying to second guess me....

Brian

Rick Lasita
05-14-2004, 5:45 AM
Tyler, you got it right, ANYTHING jazz, I say maybe 80%, but there still is the 20 % and it is SRV, Allman Bros. Skynard, Janis, etc. I have XM radio in the shop, worth every penny, and the tunes are non-stop..... Rick

Tyler Howell
05-14-2004, 7:06 AM
Tyler, you got it right, ANYTHING jazz, I say maybe 80%, but there still is the 20 % and it is SRV, Allman Bros. Skynard, Janis, etc. I have XM radio in the shop, worth every penny, and the tunes are non-stop..... RickYoh! Rick,
My neighbors haven't decided which is worse at 6 in the morning the TS and DC or some cranked SRV. Guess they'll have to choose.:p

Thomas Prondzinski
05-14-2004, 7:10 AM
Markus,
I have a 5 disc cd,not much radio here,don't like that creative breakdown when a tune comes on that I don't care for .So Pink Floyd is the most played tunes in my shop,sometimes for a change I will pop in Jewel,Pat Benatar,Metallica,Ozzy.

Tom

Mac McAtee
05-14-2004, 8:44 AM
From suggestions in that thread you refer to I set up an mp3 player through an old 1960's receiver/amplifier that I had.

Listening to Dido, Sissle, Alison Krause, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Emmy Lou Harris, Sarah Jones and a few more I can't think of right now.

Phil Phelps
05-14-2004, 9:12 AM
When I hire someone for shop work, my sledge hammer sounds sweet on their radio :D

Aaron Koehl
05-14-2004, 9:19 AM
Hmm.. being a musician, I can't put my finger one just one... or just 10 styles that I like and actively listen to. So, we'll look at the last 10 artists in my playlist:

:) Ella Fitzgerald (born right here in Newport News, VA)
:rolleyes: Metallica
;) Statler Brothers
:p Eric Clapton
;) Busta Rhymes
:p Lynyrd Skynyrd
:) George Gershwin
:) The Eagles
:) Linkin Park
:cool: Pink Floyd

So, it seems I enjoy a good mix--I don't have any favorites, but I definitely like Jazz, Latin, Classical, and Classic Rock, et cetera ad nauseum.. I do listen to conservative talk radio regularly- Apparently, it seems I like to plot contrasting styles contiguous to each other. I seem to work best when music is playing, and that would probably be jazz and classical, but it all depends on the day/amount of concentration needed.

I tend to get sidetracked picking out what key a song is in, listening to instrumental licks, and listening for comping rhythms.

Mark Singer
05-14-2004, 9:31 AM
This was an old post of mine!Hi and Happy Holidays,

Pick up Albert King's " Crosscut Saw" . Played loud you can hear it over a 15" Jet planer and Oneida Cyclone..

Neanderthals (I'm one too) try hand dovetails to Beetovens "Fur Elise" it is like magic your work improves....

Mark

Bob Hovde
05-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Anything - that was written "before the music died!"

Bob

JayStPeter
05-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Hmmm, never expected so many like-minded individuals. Most of the time I rock: metallica, vh, rush, live, lots of less known metal bands like pantera, kid rock (when my kids aren't around), '80s hair bands, and some southern rock thrown in for good measure.
When I make mistakes and my mood gets more ugly, I switch to the SRV, Jeff Healy, etc. Still upbeat enough to keep me productive, just a little more soothing.
I have an iPod, so all 250 or so CDs I own are in the palm of my hand. I listen to the same stuff at work. Anytime I need to be productive.
Country, Jazz, big band, and some other lighter rock are for more relaxing times (esp driving in traffic).
I highly recommend the iPod for shop music. Plugged into a receiver it works great and all moving parts are sealed inside. There's not even buttons to get gunked with sawdust. It is a bit pricey though.

Jay St. Peter

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 10:36 AM
When I can remember, I'll usually put on some AM Talk. It could be NPR but it usually ends up being sport's talk or any sort of game. Since I do most of my woodworking on the weekend, I find a baseball game, football game, or whatever. My radio can also pick up the audio from the local TV stations so instead of wasting 4 hours on the couch, I waste it in my garage trying to make something.

Shawn Battagler
05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
I have a radio in the shop, but I find myself being too easily distracted by it. I think visually (if that makes sense). Words, even song lyrics, make it harder for me to visualize what I am working on. And since 90% of what I do has no pre-drawn plan, I have to keep a continuous and evolving set of plans in my mind. I will occasionally turn on the ballgame and listen for the score between operations.

Waymon Campbell
05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
If I'm machining wood its oldies from my favorite local FM station 107.5.

If its designing, sanding, finishing or shop cleanup I tend to like 70's stuff (Eagles, Moody Blues, America, etc.. on CD).

Paul Downes
05-14-2004, 4:08 PM
O.K. I'm a real throw back. I listen to classical 80% of the time. I really like the Russian composers with Prokofiev being my favorite. Piano concertos being the type of classical. I also listen to some jazz and also if the Red Wings were still playing I would be listening to da 'ockey game, eh. I just found a new kind of music with Yo Yo Ma's Appalachian Journey w/ Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Conner, Allison Crouch, and James Taylor. I realy like their stuff. Sometimes I listen to conservative talk radio. I can't much stand NPR, I call it NCR with the 'C' standing for Communist.

Jim Becker
05-14-2004, 6:21 PM
I listen to non-commercial radio in my shop (and in my office...and in my car) which is either the local NPR affiliate (WHYY - 90.9 fm) when I want to listed to news magazine presentations or an absolutely wonderful eclectic music station out of the University of Pennsylvania called WXPN (88.5 fm). The latter does a huge amount of singer-songwriter as well as everything else. No commercials and between the two stations, I'm never wanting for something to listen to...except during the occasional fund drives. I also support these stations with my own money and have for years.:)

Relative to the "productivity" aspect, I do tend to prefer the music when I need to get things done as it's easy to get wrapped up in a story when the subject is interesting. But then again, I have the attention span of a block of jello sometimes, so it really doesn't matter what I listen to! :eek:

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2004, 7:13 PM
Ok....so I'm an odd-ball in this bunch. I am a musician and have been for over 20 years now. Guitar and Bass...Played bass semi-professionaly for about 3 years. Can't read a lick of music and can only play by ear.

Music in the shop? This is where I draw the line. I dislike music in the shop as it distracts me from what I'm doing. I didn't listen to music while doing school work either.

My favorites are varied....CCR, Rush, Skynard, Pink Floyd, Spira-Gyra, Herb Alpert, Jimmy Buffett, Manheim Steamroller, 38 Special, Van Halen, Cars, Little River Band, Boston and most 60's, 70's and 80's type music. Never could get into the Heavy Metal stuff....

No music in my shop....I have to "think" about what I am doing.!! :D

John Miliunas
05-14-2004, 7:27 PM
Ok....so I'm an odd-ball in this bunch. I am a musician and have been for over 20 years now. Guitar and Bass...Played bass semi-professionaly for about 3 years. Can't read a lick of music and can only play by ear.

Keeeeeeripes, Dennis! You ARE good! :) The only thing I can play is the stereo, but no way can I tune the stations in with my ear! Guess I'm a real no-talent, as I have to use my fingers for that, too! :D :cool:

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 7:37 PM
John, you must be good for something. We'll just have to work a little bit to figure out what the something is! :p

Tyler Howell
05-14-2004, 8:10 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]Ok....so I'm an odd-ball in this bunch. I am a musician and have been for over 20 years now. Guitar and Bass...Played bass semi-professionaly for about 3 years. Can't read a lick of music and can only play by ear.

Yoh So Bro!
We'll Jam when I move in next door.;) I can transpose music to "ear" if you like. Dragged amps and guitars all through Senior hi and first 2 years of college. Started going deaf and had to go unplugged. Still hit a lick or two. Got a paying gig coming up. Real particular about shop safety and where I put my fingers.:o

John Miliunas
05-14-2004, 8:45 PM
John, you must be good for something. We'll just have to work a little bit to figure out what the something is! :p

We-l-l-l-l-l-l....When you figure it out, you let me know, OK?! :) :cool:

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 8:49 PM
I hear you can joint 1x2 pine like nobody's business! :p

John Miliunas
05-14-2004, 8:57 PM
I hear you can joint 1x2 pine like nobody's business! :p

Shore can! :D That IS what you make those cross-braces for the kids' kites out of, isn't it? Heck, I can usually get, at least, two of them braces out of *each* 1x2! :D :cool:

Jim Tobias
05-15-2004, 1:16 AM
It is a very interesting how different music changes one's mood in the shop. I am from the era of the Beatles,Stones, Motown, but I typically listen to Coldplay, Nirvana, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, and Dire Straits. Go figure.

Ian Barley
05-15-2004, 2:15 AM
Listen to the BBC in my worktunes some of the time - switching between 2 (eclectic pop mix) and 4 (talk, drama, factual).

I also listen to a lot of audio books. That way I get to work a 14 hour day in the shop, a 4 hour day doing admin and still read a good book.

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2004, 9:34 AM
Keeeeeeripes, Dennis! You ARE good! :) The only thing I can play is the stereo, but no way can I tune the stations in with my ear! Guess I'm a real no-talent, as I have to use my fingers for that, too! :D :cool:

John,

I understand. Tuning an instrument by ones ears can be a bit of a challenge. :eek: I am self taught and at age 45, I am just now learning how to read music....(YES....An Arkie CAN read!! :p ) and figure out what all those little ink blots on those pages really mean. It would have been easier to learn IF I had of learned to read music 35 years ago.!!!! Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2004, 9:44 AM
Yoh So Bro!
We'll Jam when I move in next door.;) I can transpose music to "ear" if you like. Dragged amps and guitars all through Senior hi and first 2 years of college. Started going deaf and had to go unplugged. Still hit a lick or two. Got a paying gig coming up. Real particular about shop safety and where I put my fingers.:o

Yo No Bro!!!!!

Yea, I played mostly Country and mellow Rock in my early days. Play in a string band when I was in Future Farmers of America in high school and made it all the way to national competition. We were HOT!!!! ;) Then I played with some bud's in high school and we started a Rock Band and only played through high school. Played in a band with some mates while I was in the Air Force and played at the right place at the right time to be able to record on an LP record with a group that really liked my style. Ok...so I'm dating myself now. :rolleyes:

During a 2 year span of my playing....I had my bass and amp stolen TWICE. The last time I was able to get a little insurance money and I went and bought me a Warwick Thumb-Bolt 5-String Bass. I was able to get it for just inder $1,900 and this was back 7 years ago. You can buy it now for around $1,500...so I have lost $400 already....but I sure do like it.

Well...I guess I'm boring you and other to tears about now.!!! :o Sorry for it being so long....

Jim Becker
05-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Dennis, one of these days, I'll get all my geat out the closet and get back to music (largely keyboards, but guitar and bass, too, as well as recording/sound reinforcement) but with only so much time in the day, the real job/home ownership/woodworking/reading/cooking is what my focus has been. I suppose I should at least get out my Kurzweil keyboard so I can faddle late at night once in awhile! Thanks for the "reminder" via your posts...yea, I really should do that.

John Miliunas
05-15-2004, 5:15 PM
HA! 'Ya see there; I've got all you guys beat! I play my stereo every single day! :D Hey, maybe you guys should get together and have a rock-fest or something! :D Now, if we could just figure out a catchy name fer yer band.... :confused: :cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2004, 7:13 PM
Now, if we could just figure out a catchy name fer yer band....

Well John....

How about <b><font color="red">The Soggy Sawdust Creek Boys!?!</font></b>

Or maybe....

<b><font color="blue">Sawmill and the Creekers!!!!!</font></b>

Tyler Howell
05-15-2004, 9:00 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]Now, if we could just figure out a catchy name fer yer band....
Dennis,
Was telling John earlier I have my Home Theater system racked up in the top half of my good old Anvil cases.(actually it's an Armadilo on the bottom) Sits in the living room with the antiques, leather furniture, oh yah and all the power tools.:p Every woman (mother, daughters & SOs alike) that come over hate them:( . But that's ok. Reminds me of the good old days. Bottom half are some amps, FX and processors.:D Crank them up (and tune up the neighbors ) every now and them. Just for old times sake.:cool:

John Miliunas
05-15-2004, 9:27 PM
That's pretty kick-a$$ there, Tyler, but do I spot a few items which are NOT really rack mounts????? Hmmmmmm...????? :rolleyes: "Back in the day", I even took some non-standard 19" pieces and MADE them into rack mounts! Weren't necessarily pretty, but I could mount them anywhere in the rack without using a "shelf". Even modified my old Sony TC-650 reel-to-reel to fit! :) Heck, now that I think about it, I never even had a "real" rack, neither! Used brushed al. angle and built frames right into walls for the stuff.

Now, for the name of that band; OK, you guys are all woodworkers and talk a lot about playing music in the "past tense". Well, how about: "Kickback"? As in, "kickback to the 70's, 80's, whatever" and "kickback in WW terms". I think it's perfect! :D So, you guys need a manager or what? :D :cool:

Jim Becker
05-15-2004, 10:12 PM
do I spot a few items which are NOT really rack mounts????? Hmmmmmm...?????
Like Tyler, one of my rack cabinets has items that were not originally intended for rack mounting; particularly a 2-track tape deck that I made "ears" out of aluminum sheet stock many years ago. Ya do what ya gotta do to fit it in and keep it there!

Bruce Page
05-15-2004, 11:36 PM
I always have music on in the shop! Some of my favorites in no particular order are:

o Keb Mo

o Van Morrison

o Hound Dog Taylor

o Stevie Ray Vaughan

o David Wilcox

o Frank Zappa

o Annie Lennox

o Sonny Landreth

o Lyle Lovett

o The Neville Brothers

o Little Feat

o Sonia Dada

o Jeff Beck

o Dave Matthews

Tyler Howell
05-16-2004, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Bruce Page]I always have music on in the shop! Some of my favorites in no particular order are:

All winners Bruce, Got turned on to Keb Mo in the past year and he blew me away. :cool: Great axe man and his selection of songs are great as well.
Got to meet Dave Mathews, Last time he was in town.:D Old Girl friend was best buds with his guitar players sister. She got us back stage passes and the works. My daughter was really POd. I wasn't suppose to like that kind of music.:rolleyes:

Bruce Page
05-16-2004, 12:48 AM
All winners Bruce, Got turned on to Keb Mo in the past year and he blew me away. :cool: Great axe man and his selection of songs are great as well.
Got to meet Dave Mathews, Last time he was in town.:D Old Girl friend was best buds with his guitar players sister. She got us back stage passes and the works. My daughter was really POd. I wasn't suppose to like that kind of music.:rolleyes:Tyler, Keb Mo puts on a great show, I wish I had your connections - I'd like to meet the man.
I remember seeing Dave Mathews on one of the MTV unplugged concerts. It was just him and a fabulous gutarist. It was very memorable. I would love to see them live!

Tyler Howell
05-16-2004, 8:09 AM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas]That's pretty kick-a$$ there, Tyler, but do I spot a few items which are NOT really rack mounts????? Hmmmmmm...????? :rolleyes: "Back in the day",

Don't have much time or need for the for the custom mount any more. The only thing that leaves the house is the Armadilo on the bottom. I'm not dragging the stuff around town in and out of trucks, vans & dropping it off loading docks:rolleyes: (long story). AND almost all FX are small micro processor contolled bricks, and stomp boxes. Even in my business where racks are king, a lot of the new stuff sits on shelves.
I can get bye with my axe, gig bag and one of a couple combo amps. House almost always provides the PA. Soooo like everyone else (with the exception of toyls) I'm down sizing.:cool:

Tyler Howell
05-16-2004, 8:24 AM
[QUOTE=Bruce Page]Tyler, Keb Mo puts on a great show, I wish I had your connections - I'd like to meet the man.
I remember seeing Dave Mathews on one of the MTV unplugged concerts. It was just him and a fabulous gutarist.

Bruce,
Tim Reynalds(SP) is the name of the guitar player/connection. Tiny little guy (awesome) had to have his guitars custom made. Heard tell of stories where he would be locked in his bedroom as a teen playing day and night. Paid off:cool: . In my next life. :D Have a good one.

John Miliunas
05-16-2004, 8:24 AM
I can get bye with my axe, gig bag and one of a couple combo amps. House almost always provides the PA. Soooo like everyone else (with the exception of toyls) I'm down sizing.:cool: [/color][/i][/b]

So, Tyler, you ever play over down our way, as in Packerland? :D It'd be cool to catch 'ya on stage sometime! :cool:

Tyler Howell
05-16-2004, 8:38 AM
So, Tyler, you ever play over down our way, as in Packerland? :D It'd be cool to catch 'ya on stage sometime! :cool:Gee John I don't know if I could handle the flying beer bottles in Packerland. Had a bad experience at Country Dam (bye Turtle Lake) 30 years ago, and have been pretty shy since then. :p

John Miliunas
05-16-2004, 9:32 PM
Gee John I don't know if I could handle the fly beer bottles in Packerland. Had a bad experience at Country Dam (bye Turtle Lake) 30 years ago, and have been pretty shy since then. :p

30 years ago???!!! :eek: Dude...We're more civilized than that now! Besides, most places serve drinks in plastic containers to avoid such nonsense. Come on down! :cool:

Christopher Pine
05-16-2004, 11:26 PM
*0's music is it!... YEs I do mean the yop 40 stuff but also some of the less known bands of the time, they are known now more than back then...
REM for example... I love the 80's... I guess I am somewhat stuck there... Oie... when I was a kid and they called the 50's and 60's oldies that music was as old as the 80's music is now... hmmm? I am not old! :confused:
Chris Pine

Aaron Koehl
05-17-2004, 8:59 PM
Hmm.. wouldn't it be fun to get a set list together at one of our picnics..? I don't see any drummers out there though.. Keith, do you still got it? :)

Sweet!